Lacilia (Lacy)

Dog won't stop eating toilet paper!

Okay, my dog has an issue with chewing things up. I know it's normal and all, but this is ridiculous. She has toys, so she's never bored, and still manages to find something to tear. She's about 10 months old, Golden Retriever/Border Collie mix. I know, she's still a puppy. But I've been trying to train this habit out of her ever since we got her at about 6 weeks. I know touching her flank or neck is supposed to work, but she doesn't even react.
The main issue is toilet paper. We have a small bathroom, with a vanity and a window. If the toilet paper is placed on the vanity or window, Lacy somehow manages to get it and tear it up. So, I've been trying to get everyone in the house to put it in the sink. It's not deep, but she can't reach in there. Or so I thought. Now, she grabs the toilet paper no matter where we put it. I've tried putting it in different places, but she always finds it. What can I do to help her understand that this is unacceptable, without constant buying?

Asked by Lacilia (Lacy) on May 27th 2009 Tagged toiletpaper, chew in Chewing

Answers

Jesse

My only advice is - keep the door shut! Jesse likes to steal feminine products out of the rubbish bin, so we have to keep our toilet door shut.

Jesse answered on 5/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

How much exercise does Lacy get in a day?

Both of her breeds, Golden and Border Collie, are very intelligent, energetic breeds who need a lot of exercise, both physical and mental, especially when they are young. Simply having toys for her to play with is NOT enough. You need to have training sessions throughout the day, provide her with toys that require her to use her head (like the kind you fill with treats and she has to work out how to get them), and provide lots of physical exercise, too - like 2 walks of 45 minutes each, AT LEAST - per day.

When Lacy and you are home, she needs to learn that she needs to be within sight of you at all times. That means, in the same room, supervised. Not running around in the house to tear things up. You can get her used to this by leashing her to you while you go about your day.

Merlin

Us dogs like tissues because they have a high oil content. They are way too tempting to leave alone. I'd suggest buying one of these: www.artistcraft.com or closing the door.

Merlin answered on 5/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I agree on the closed door, but our downstairs powder room is where we keep the dogs' water dish. We keep the lid closed on the large ceramic one. With a new puppy every year, I mounted the tissue holder 42'' off the floor. Usually by the time they can reach it, the worst of the chewing is over.

We never leave a puppy loose unsupervised. I would keep an eye on her and give her an ''Ah, ah, ah!'' every time she goes for it and offer her a toy. When nobody can watch the puppy, we crate it.

Note, touching the neck or flank may work on TV, but I have my doubts about in real life.