Chloe

Dog won't eat or drink! What should I do?!

My dog, Chloe, we just got her. She is a chihuahua/terrier (3/4 chi 1/4 terrier) and we got her on father's day. She won't eat her puppy food (dry food) and she won't drink water out of bowl. I worry that she is not drinking she can die from hydration. Please help! Thanks.
MY DOG IS TURNING 2 MONTHS ON THURSDAY

Asked by Chloe on Jun 22nd 2009 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

It says on your page that Chloe is only 1 month old.

Thats 4 weeks in my book.

Why is this pup not with its mom still???

I say you take it back, and get your money back!
You shouldn't have gotten a puppy this young!

A toy breed should not be taken away from its mother and siblings before 10-12 weeks.

4 weeks... way too young to be separated from mom. And with such a tiny body things can go downhill REAL quick... get her to a vet asap.

I think you should take the pup into the vet.
He should of stopped there first, so since there is problems just take her in, hope she gets better, she is adorable.

Even if Chloe is turning 2 months on Thursday, she's still slightly too young to be away from her mother/litter at this point.

Yes, she CAN die of dehydration. But the good news is that if you get her to a vet IMMEDIATELY you can more than likely sort this out and give her a good shot at a happy, healthy life.

But delaying vet care is a mistake. There are all sorts of reasons she might not be eating. She might not have had the type of food you are feeding her and not know how to eat it, or she might be too young to be away from her mom and is upset about being in her new home. Adjustment time is different for every dog, but it's not unusual for new dogs of ANY age to be reticent to eat or drink when they first arrive.

Again, there are other things that could be going on, but your baby needs to see a vet. Please take her asap.

Better to be safe than sorry!