Monster

dog super hyper when i get home

Hello i have a question on any ways for my dog to be ready to relax when i get home, he is crated during the day because he is a separation anxiety breed ( beagle basset hound ) i would love to have someone come and let him out and play with him at the dog park at my apt. complex but dog walkers are very expensive, he bores of his kong once the peanut butters gone and hes very good at it, i have a feeling he sleeps all day and wants to be up and ready to go all evening and nite ( he is an EXTREMELY playful and hyper dog about 1 yr 4 months old ) i especially would like someone too come let him out because hes in his crate for an average of 9 hrs, but if this cant happen any advise would be awesome, my main objective here is to be able to come home and relax, heres a good example if i came home and wanted to do something as simple as draw a picture i wouldnt be able to do it because of his constant roaming and boredom, i would love it if he could be somehow worn out when i got home

Asked by Monster on Jun 16th 2011 Tagged energy in Crate Training

Answers

Dogs are not living stuffed animals- they need exercise. I don't think it's fair to expect him to be chill when he's been crated and sleeping all day- I'm sure he's ready to go!

Do you live a neighborhood with any kids around? It's summer break now and I'm sure some kid would love to get a little pocket money for exercising your pooch. You could ask around and put up flyers on local bulletin boards to find someone. That would be much cheaper than hiring a professional or taking him to doggy daycare.

I think when you have a young and active dog, you can't really expect to have any quiet time except for a few minutes right after you run the tar out of him, so maybe you need to re-think your lifestyle and why you got this dog in the first place?

maybe more thought should have gone into the idea of a dog. 1-)9 hours, is that fair ? NO.2-) to expect him to relax ? NO 3-) DO I WANT A DOG ? SHOULD I GET A DOG ? DO I DESERVE A DOG ? ABSOLUTELY NOT !!! To allow the pleasure of an animal in your life requires a lot of sacrifice. If you want a HAPPY dog pay someone to take care of him while your gone. I found all day doggie-daycare is cheaper than the dog walker and they play all day !

Wow... that is really expecting way too much from ANY dog!!! He sleeps all night (I am assuming), is crated ALL day long and you want him to relax all evening???? He is a LIVING being and he needs exercise and active time, like LOTS of exercise and active time.
I think it is bordering on cruelty to keep a dog crated for nine hours at a stretch... your dog deserves more and if this is all you can offer him I would suggest looking into rehoming him and maybe getting a pet rock?????

Sonny

I must agree with previous posters.

Both Beagles and Bassets were bred to be hunting dogs. Running all day after wild game, tracking their scents, etc. Not for couch potatoes!

Beagles especially are meant to work with a pack of Beagles - not alone. This may be why he has Separation anxiety.

And of course he slept all day, what else is he gonna do? Put yourself in his paws.

He is your dog, and like a child, your responsibility. Once his needs are met you can tend to your own.
Walk him before you leave for work and when you come home. A leash walk, at a heel, tires a dog faster than playing at the dog park.

Sonny answered on 6/17/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

sookie

You know people come to this site to ask questions and get help not get yelled at and put down on so to the guest how answered the question how rude are you!!!!!!! Stop yelling at her and tell her some things that could help!

sookie answered on 6/17/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Have you looked into doggie daycare? You could possibly just do a few times a week instead of every day to help with cost. Sometimes this may work out cheaper than hiring a private dog walker. That way your dog gets plenty of activity, and socialization. If you can't think of a local dog daycare off the top of your head, often times boarding facilities also offer daycare, so I would look around. Other than that, there's not really any way for him to be worn out when you get home if he's sleeping in a crate/alone all day.

Toby

Getting up extra early in the morning and taking him for a run might help a little but nine hours in a crate means no matter what, he will have energy. You say he is a separation anxiety breed, but does he actually have it? My dog is very active and the first few times i left him loose in my room alone he got into everything but i kept trying every once in a while and now, as long as my room has no food in it, he can be left in the room for a few hours when i work, which is a bit better that a crate. Definitely, like others suggested, look into dog day care and compare the prices of all your options and hopefully you can find something affordable and reliable. A kong can entertain him and get him mental exercise but not physical exercise, a way to make it last longer is to freeze some canned food into it, my dog loves that.

Toby answered on 6/19/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Laila

Seems to me your lifestyle is NOT conducive to dog ownership at this time. No guilt here, give the Pup up and get another when you can spend more time with it. Its kinder to the dog and will free you up to live your live without the twinge of guilt a 9 hour crated dog should engender.

Laila answered on 9/9/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer