Guest

Dog possibly swallowed a battery - what symptoms should we look for?


Asked by Member 611318 on Mar 23rd 2008 in Health & Wellness
Report this question Get this question's RSS feed Send this question to a friend



Status

  • This question is closed.


Answers

Gray Dawn Treader

Batteries have acid, so instead of asking for symptoms, SEE THE VET! THIS PROBABLE IS AN EMERGENCY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Gray Dawn Treader answered on 3/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Monroe (Buckshot)

Take your pup to the vet, ask questiopns later. This could be very dangerous for your dog.


Monroe (Buckshot) answered on 3/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Jack

This is definitely an emergency. Watching for symptoms may be too late. What you should do is take the dog to the emergency vet as soon as possible. If the battery was punctured or bursts, it could prove fatal due to the acid in the battery.

The only reason not to go to the vet right now is if the dog has defecated since ingesting the battery and you can put some gloves on and find the battery. If you find it complete and intact, then any emergency has probably passed, but you should still call your vet to confirm no further action is needed.

Otherwise, I'd be taking this dog to the E/R immediately.

I hope everything turns out okay, best of luck.


Jack answered on 3/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Guest

If there is even the slightest chance that the dog swallowed batteries get it to the vet. They have ways of quickly finding out for sure and taking care of the situations. Don't wait for symtoms. If you do wait for symtoms it may be too late. Time is of the essence.


Member 570392 answered on 3/24/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer