Dog Park?

My dog humped another dog at the dog park for about 45 sec. The other dog squealed. We got my dog off. Just as we were leaving the other owner said she noticed a little bit of blood in her dogs stool. It is possible my dog may have penetrated. The other dog was happy & playful as we left. I did not see any blood. Do I have any legal obligations to this?

Asked by Member 906701 on Oct 31st 2009 Tagged humping in Laws & Legislation

Answers

if the other dog's vet says that the blood in the stool was due to your dog then i would have to say yes you do have a legal obligation. is your dog neutered? if not he is acting like he's in need of mating, so i would suggests an immediate neutering. i hope the other dog is ok.

Lola Penelope

wait, I'm confused. When the owner said her dog had blood in her stool, was this the same visit that your dog mounted hers? If this is the case, I don't see how they would be related. One of my worries would be, if her dog was a unspayed female, the blood could be from a heat and not from the poo. But... if this was the case I'd imagine other dogs would of been just as interested. Unless there is no doubt that your dog was the cause of the injury, I don't see how you would be responsible. Plus, if she was in heat, it is the responsibility of her owner not to bring her to a dog park. I know the dog parks I go to states no dogs in heat are allowed, SOME state any unaltered dogs aren't allowed.

Lola Penelope answered on 10/31/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

PrincessMorningstar

I really doubt that your dog caused the bleeding. A "Tie" takes a lot longer then 45 seconds! When two dogs really mate, a Tie takes place, after a couple minutes of penetration, the male turns around, now both dogs are butt to butt and can stay in that position for as long as 15 minutes, assuring that the female is now pregnant.
Most dog's that mount, really don't penetrate, it just appears to the human eye that way.

Sounds like this lady is just looking for a quick buck! If she is really concerned about her dog, she should have immediately ran it to the vet. It could very well have worms. Keep a check on your dog as well. Or maybe she knows something is wrong with her dog, and figures this is a good way to get the money for a checkup.

PrincessMorningstar answered on 10/31/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

A question for you, why would you allow your dog to hump this person's dog for 45 seconds in the first place???
Anywhooo.....is she taking the dog to the vet and asking you to pay the vet bill? If she is ask to speak with the vet or go to the appointment with her.
I would say your both at fault for not stepping in and stopping it immediately. I would at least pay for half if my dog violated a dog and injuried it.
I'm a little confused, are you asking if your dog could have penetrated her behind and that's why she possibly has blood in her stool. If this is the case I would have no idea if this would happen or not.

Katie

If your dog is not neutered, start with that. It will reduce the drive to mount others, and will also protect him from certain kinds of cancer later (not to mention eliminating the risk of fathering puppies who end up suffering in a shelter somewhere).

What do your laws say? At the dog parks we frequent, in Southern CA, all dog owners enter at their own risk. In two years of nearly daily attendance, I have seen a couple of fights that led to injury, but always involving bites, never due to mounting. Mounting at the dog park is usually either an invitation to play (as in, I'm going to do something annoying to get you to turn around and engage with me), or a way of calming another dog down. If your dog thought the other one was being rambunctious, he may have hopped on board to settle her down.

I doubt that in less than a minute your dog could have penetrated the other to the point of injury, and I doubt you would be legally obligated to pay, but check with a vet and perhaps a lawyer

Katie answered on 10/31/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jet

Please get your dog neutered! I think that you do have legal obligations to this.

Jet answered on 11/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

maybe it was not spayed female. The blood could of been from the heat and just happen to get on top of the poo.

Then the dogs are off leash and you let them try to mate.
If he did leave sperm even though no tie and the dog is heat enough to still have eggs there could be a slight chance of a puppy.
Being off leash no one is responsible.
Maybe the owner of the female was trying to get her bred for free. don't know, but this is weird situation.

"if not he is acting like he's in need of mating, so i would suggests an immediate neutering."
Not necessarily, bud. In fact, humping is not usually sexual unless an inheat female is around. Usually, it's a part of play, relieving of stress, and some say dominance.

"It is possible my dog may have penetrated."
Yes, but since he didn't tie it's less likely that he impregnated the other dog. Let me explain and this will get just a bit graphic, the "tie" refers to the point of breeding when the male's penis swells to the point where he cannot get out of the female for anywhere from five minutes to an hour. The tie is the point when the most sperm is released, and the time during which fertilization usually occures.

"Just as we were leaving the other owner said she noticed a little bit of blood in her dogs stool"
On the same visit? Then it is not likely that your dog caused it. You would not be seeing signs of pregnancy that fast. More likely the other dog was inheat.Tell the owner that he should not be bringing an inheat dog to the park, it's just asking for trouble.
Please be sure to keep a better eye on your dog when at the dog park as well so that something like this can be avoided in the future. Whether it causes trouble or not, you should not be allowing your dog to harass others.