Dog not putting no or very little weight on left front leg no visible injury...any idea of cause?

Two days ago I noticed my 3 year old Lab/ Sharpe mix wouldn't put any weight at all on his left front paw,I felt around on his leg and paw areas and noticed no injury or foreign objects that I could see although he did yelp when I got near the larger paw pad at the back of the paw.
later that day he was walking on it again with a slight limp so I thought he'd be OK,but this morning he was back to not bearing any weight on it.Then once again as the day went on he started trying to walk on it again.
I will add he seems to be in no pain other than when putting pressure on so im that paw,appetite is normal ,as far as I can tell only symptom is lameness in that paw.
Do you guys have any idea what could be wrong?....also I'm recently played off from work so no money for vet ATM...hoping its minor ,but will see a vet if need be.

Asked by Member 1138715 on Nov 1st 2012 in Illness & Disease

Answers

I would have a vet check for tick borne diseases including Lyme. To save money, my vet lets me make a Tech appointment. They just draw the blood for the test and that's all they charge me for. Maybe your vet will do that. It could also be a soft tissue injury, that crate rest and pain meds can fix over the coarse of two weeks. If you live in a place with ticks, then I would get that checked. Tick borne diseases can be very bad if they are not treated. Good Luck!