Bella

dog losing weight despite eating more than recommended?

I feed my dog a high calorie food (EVO), she eats MORE than is recommended. (double)

Was recently injured and thus hasn't been able to go on walks.

Was just given an x-ray (no tumors) so tumor of the thyroid is out.

She does NOT have diarrhea, she doesn't vomit.
She doesn't drink excessively.
She doesn't pee a ton.
But she is and always has been hyperactive. (except for recently due to injury)

Yet, she is bony under her coat.
(which her coat is soft and does look nice)

WHY is my dog not able to maintain a better weight?

Asked by Bella on Nov 9th 2010 Tagged weightloss in Health & Wellness

Answers

Are you sure she is under weight? Did your Vet say anything while treating her injury?

I would first suspect parasites, not all will cause a dog to appear sick. Tapeworm, flukes are not readily apparent.

Have your Vet run a blood panel to see if anything is off.

Article attached may have more info you can use.

www.buzzle.com

Quentin Flagg

Have you had her checked for worms? The first thing that comes to mind when I hear of a dog eating well but still losing weight is worms. The worms could be stealing her nutrients before her body gets them, thus causing her to lose weight even though she is eating plenty.

Quentin Flagg answered on 11/10/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Buddy ~In Loving Memory~

Worms would be the first thing that comes to mind. Maybe have your vet do a blood test and stool sample.

My dog lost an INSANE amount of weight before he died and we later found out he had Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency. Mention it to your vet and see what he thinks.

Usually when a dog is losing a lot of weight and it is not due to worms it is because their body is having a hard time breaking down foods or substances.

Please pmail me with more info. I think I can help...

***You can go to Buddy's page to see what he looked life before he died...I hope you have a strong stomach.***

Buddy ~In Loving Memory~ answered on 11/10/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer