Riker

Dog goes into belly rub position but once I reach in, he pushes my hand away with legs and tries to nip me.

Is he trying to play with me instead of asking for a belly rub? He does it to my mom too and he actually nips her (cause she doesn't do what i tell her to do- yelp 'Ow' and walk away). Am I telling my mom to do the right thing?

Asked by Riker on Jul 18th 2008 Tagged nipping, bellyrub in Puppies

Answers

You are telling your mother to do the right thing. This is why dogs are considered so smart! Riker has learned that when he rolls over you will reach down and start 'playing' with him! If he tries to nip when you rub his belly, walk away and ignore the behavior. When he is still, continue messageing his belly.

Juno

This is playful behavior. My dog does the exact same thing; when I go to rub her belly she starts kicking and trying to mouth me. She flips over on her back when she feels playful and knows I'll come over and play with her if she does it.

You are absolutely telling your mom to do the right thing. You may have to show her how it works in order for her to get it though.

Juno answered on 7/18/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Take a super yummy treat and distract Riker with it. Then start rubbing his belly. At first, for only a second and tell him good poor and give him the treat. After a while, make the belly rubs longer. Eventually, he'll love having his belly rubbed. Oh yeah, also gradually fade out the treat but still give it to him sometimes.