Dog gets very anxious when I'm in bathroom getting ready

My dog always follows me around, but when I go into the bathroom in particular, he gets very wound up. If I'm in there getting ready with the door open, he will start biting at my legs, and try to go in between them or get a hold of them in some way. I know this must be him expressing anxiety, since I think he associates me in the bathroom getting ready with me leaving. I can only get him to stop temporarily by making him leave the bathroom and closing the door, but he just does it again the next time. I'm not sure how I can stop him from doing this.

Asked by Member 1154876 on Feb 12th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

You need to disassociate the bathroom with getting ready to leave. Do what you need to do in increments and then go sit on the couch and read or watch tv.. etc which will show him that it doesn't always mean you are leaving. He needs to spend some time away from you as well, in a different room occupied with something like a Kong or his food in a treat dispenser. Little bit by little bit wean the dog off being with you all the time. Go to a different room and come back in a few seconds... make it a second longer each time.. baby gates or a mat to go to and stay might be helpful... Crate train if you haven't might be a good option..