cody

dog ate an earring

Cody ate a chanel stud pierced earring....it had a rather long stud o it and I'm not sure if he can pass it or not. How long should this take?

Asked by cody on Oct 28th 2007 in Emergencies & First Aid

Answers

Due to the long, sharp point on this item, this is one where I'd recommend you get yourself some latex gloves and make sure it actually passes through safely.

Otherwise, it could stay in the intestines or esophagus and cause a perfortion or tear, which would be very serious.

Dogs pass food through their systems fairly quickly. I'd start looking now, and continue for 48 hours. If you don't find anything, its definitey time to take him to the vet for an x-ray.

Most likely, it will be passed through. Most smaller items are, but again, it is important to make sure.

Z (That Final Letter Z)

Call your vet to be sure. When Cooper once ate sharp shards of plastic, they told us to feed him a lot of bread so it would encase the shards, making them less likely to hurt on the way through.

Z (That Final Letter Z) answered on 10/30/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Xena

Xena has eaten a stud earring. It passed within 48 hours.

Xena answered on 11/5/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer