Caspian

Dog Allergies

I have a big Rhodesian Ridgeback mix. I think he might be allergic to chicken. I am going to switch his food (without chicken) and see if it helps. Whats a cheap brand of dog food that has no chicken in it?

Asked by Caspian on May 13th 2013 Tagged skin, flaky, dry, chicken, food in Pet Food

Answers

What brand are you using now? I used to have Kali on California Natural. She did very well on it for a while. She has major issues with food. They have several different kinds including a no grain/fish which you can try (I think it's Salmon). That brand is in the midrange of price and is cheaper than several trips to the vet if it works for you. Good Luck!

Sandy

The most common food allergies are chicken and grain so it may save u time to do a no chicken and no grain food. Also many dogs who can't do chicken also can't do turkey duck etc.

Sandy answered on 5/14/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Chicken doesn't work well in this house, either. I switched to lamb and rice and immediately the food and allergy issues went away. I buy Blue Buffalo, which is about $55 for a 30 lb bag, I think $35 for a 15 lb-er. There are better brands than that and there are less expensive ones, too.

Almost every dog food manufacturer now has a no chicken no grain formula. BUT, you do need to read the small print on the ingredients list...many of them are using chicken fat or mixed poultry fat, or poultry meal, or poultry digest, all of which negate the no chicken part!
Tractor Supply carries TOTW, and their own brand, For Health, both of which come in no chicken, no grain formulas and both of which are reasonably priced and decent foods.

A food that is NOT cheap but WELL WORTH it is Natural Choice large breed lamb & rice formula. Check out www.nutro.com and remember that the more that you spend on a good diet for your dog now, the less you will be spending at the vet later. Plus he will have a healthier skin luster and shiny coat (lamb is the only meat protein in the food)... check it out! ^_^