Gatsby

Does the full moon really effect dog behavior?

My Saint Bernard has been waking us up to go outside the last few nights, once outside he normally just lays on the patio and falls asleep. I'm not comfortable leaving him out all night alone, so we bring him in, and he whines and barks for awhile, but eventually sleeps. Normally, once he is in his den, he's there for the night, and rarely, if ever wakes us up. My husband thinks it has something to do with the full moon, I just want to know if that's possible, or if there is something else happening here that we should check out?

Asked by Gatsby on Nov 30th 2012 Tagged whining, fullmoon, behavior in Behavior & Training

Answers

There may be something to the fact that the moon does have something to do with behavior. I have a friend that works as a nurse, and she says she knows when there is a full moon because they have more things happen during this time. So maybe dogs can have the same effect on them from the moon also.

It is an urban myth that full moons cause erratic behaviour in humans. An extensive study of ER admissions & police arrests showed there was NO increase in admissions or other anomalies. It is the plethora of anecdotes that are like a self-fulfilling prophesy that leads people to believe this is true.
I worked for years in a hospital on the mental health ward & although we joked about it every month, it just is NOT reality.
Now, in dogs, perhaps a full moon could make it easier to hunt at night. Maybe your guy is just too hot in the house?