Does shaving down a dog cause extreme personality change?

male maltese shaved down for the first time.
Afterwards, he just sits, will not play with his toys and has lost his personality. Always seems frightened.
Groomer says this is natural and he will get over it in time. It has been 7 days today.
He is so different I wondered if I was given the wrong dog but groomer says no.

Asked by Member 1147658 on Jan 1st 2013 Tagged shavedown, fear, personality in Fears & Phobias

Answers

Charlie Brown Cocoa Puffs

wow now bein given the wrong dog would be bad. yes it is natural. he will get over it or his hair will grow back.

Charlie Brown Cocoa Puffs answered on 1/1/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

As a groomer I have had to shave hundreds of completely matted to the skin dogs and have NEVER had one react with anything except happiness that they can move freely again.
I would seriously question whether he was somehow injured during the process and is in pain, or he was perhaps given drugs such as tranquilizers. I would get him examined by my vet and make sure his spine and joints are okay as this type of reaction is NOT NORMAL.

I know it sounds weird, but when I was a kid, my cocker-springer mix got a haircut and seemed really embarrassed by it for a few days. She didn't act like a completely different dog, though. If I were in your position, I would ask the groomer if anything remarkable happened during the time your dog was in his or her care and I would ask questions about his demeanor during that time (I.e. was he fearful or comfortable during grooming, how did he interact with other dogs if at all, etc). That might give you some insight. I mean, grooming and kenneling could potentially be pretty scary things for a dog, particularly one with a timid or anxious personality. I would also call the vet to see what he or she advises.