Does my dog look like a Dingo mix to you?

imgur.com

imgur.com

imgur.com

imgur.com

imgur.com (him as a puppy)

People who meet my dog, Tobe always comment on how he
looks like a Husky/Dingo mix. When we adopted him we were told that he was found, along with 10 other litter-mates down south. They told us he was Aussie/Husky mix. I don't see Aussie at all.

He has the appetite of an Alaskan Malamute (and their woo'ing) but he is almost feral when it comes to strangers. He will bark at them and run away. When people enter the house, he stands on his back two legs and has the strangest, shrillest, bark.

It took us about two months after we adopted him for him to be semi comfortable with us even.

At home he is a big lush, but with strangers, he wants no part of them.

What do you think he's mixed with?

Asked by Member 1104288 on Apr 5th 2012 Tagged dingo, husky, mix, dog, feral in Mixed Breeds

Answers

Well, it would make sense except that Dingos are astronomically rare in America (which I'm assuming you live in, since you didn't say otherwise.)

I see Siberian Husky, German Shepherd, and probably a Cur breed, like the Blackmouth Cur or Mountain Cur. (Hound/mastiff-ish hunting dogs used in the rural South.) Many completely random-bred dogs look like Tobe- it's kind of the "basic dog" shape that they revert back to when humans don't interfere in breeding. That's why Dingos look that way- they're the ultimate "natural dog breed".

I would guess his shyness is part genetic (Sibes and GSDs can be reserved with strangers) and part due to his lack of early socialization (if he had little human contact as a young puppy.)

Zack

I agree with Bruno. I have a similar-looking (but different, LOL) dog.

When you have a medium-sized dog with prick ears, a yellow-brown-red coat, and does not appear to be of any one identifiable breed, you're always going to get people who say the dog "looks exactly like" some other dog they've seen, either a breed or a mix. And some who insist your dog is part of some wild canine species. This doesn't mean it's true.

Dogs who are "found" and either get little socialization as puppies or spend a lot of time "lost" may be aloof or fearful towards strangers. This can be more pronounced if they are descended from dogs that are naturally suspicious or aloof towards strangers. My dog was also found as a stray, he does a few things reminiscent of feral dogs or wild species, but I am confident his closest relatives were all domesticated dogs.

Your dog is most likely from a multi-generational cross of several mixed breed ancestors. My first guess was husky-shepherd mix.

Zack answered on 4/9/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Maggie Mae

I think it's coyote husky mix. It cannot be malamute because they don't have blue eyes. Being from down south we would see a lot of these, or coyote mixes of other sorts. I'm from New Mexico and West Texas, where did you get the dog from?
This would definitely account for his behavior as well. Good eye! Next time you adopt a dog and it is skittish, bring it home and completely ignore him, it will take 1 week instead of two months for them to be comfortable. An anxious dog unsure of his environment needs to acclimate itself and people usually will try to intercede which just confuses them and makes them more apprehensive. So in essence you are re-enforcing the behavior even though it came from good intentions. When your friends come over or strangers, have them do this. Tell them not to look, talk or touch the dog. Depending on the severity of the case he will inch forward and sniff. Make sure that they just keep talking to you ignore the dog, and relax, the dog will relax sooner too.

Maggie Mae answered on 4/12/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Rocket

It may look like it, but he could be just another mix like one of my dogs, rain a pit-bull, chow chow, Shepard mix. People out on the street always ask if she is part coyote or dingo. Your dog looks to me like a husky/Shepard mix. He may have a little coyote in him too. I hope I helped, best regards:)

Rocket answered on 4/15/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Wow, Glad I am not the only one with this question. My dog is a suposeably a 'pure' Husky/ 'pure' german shepard mix and looks almost like your dog except it has a german shepard face.

i.imgur.com