Does my dog have diabetes and why is he not eating?

Hello,
I have a four year old labordoodle named Harry. He has many health issues including; a liver that does not process animal protein and an over large heart. When he was one, I was told that he would not live to be two. He has beat the odds and was a healthy happy four year old until now. Lately I have noticed a loss in appetite. He usually will only eat pancakes. He empties about three large water bowls a day, but has a total loss in energy. Now every day he just sleeps, and he will not play. I looked up the symptoms of diabetes and he seems to have them. So what do I do if he has diabetes? Do I have to put him to sleep? And why is he not eating?

Asked by Member 845131 on Jun 11th 2009 in Diabetes

Answers

You need to ask a vet this question.
Doing research on the computer is not going to help you diagnose diabetes in your dog, only blood work can do that.
Considering your dogs other health concerns, if I were you I'd be running to the vet.
And no you will not need to put your dog down if by chance he does have diabetes. Insulin and diet (sorry no more pancakes) can give your dog many happy years.

I agree that you need to consult a vet.

It sounds like he has a list of things that are going on with him and it's might not be as simple to care for him as a healthy dog, but I think there's a really good chance he'll be okay IF you get him definitively diagnosed by your vet.

Lots of dogs live long, healthy lives with diabetes even when they have other, additional health issues.

It's not a good sign that he's listsless and not eating, so I'd take him in IMMEDIATELY if this were my dog. Dogs can go downhill fast and sometimes from things that are quite easily treatable if you get them in to the vet quickly.

Good luck, I hope he gets better soon.

Muffin

PLEASE go to the vet and have him tested for diabetes. DO NOT PUT THE SWEETHEART DOWN.

I do not understand why you would feed a dog pancakes.

Mom has a 17 year old cat...she gets insulin shots everyday. She is fine. The shots are easy to give..your vet will instruct you.

Muffin answered on 6/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer