Ocelomeh G.A.

Does it affect your pets health giving them the 5 in 1(parvo, distemper, etc.)shot yearly?

Okay, so I got my god daughter a lil brussels griffon, yorkie mix pup. for her bday. Her mom started doing research on shots. she came up with the answer that you shouldn't give your dog the 5 in 1 yearly because it weakens their immune system. She said there was alot of cases where studies show that it can even lessen your dogs life. Also, that the reason vets insist on giving them the shots yearly because its part of their lively hood. Could that be true??? I have my doubts I don't think vets would want to damage their reputation like that. Plus, isn't parvo very contagous and can be given to a dog more then once???? Does anybody have some answers?????

Asked by Ocelomeh G.A. on Feb 26th 2009 in Health & Wellness

Answers

peaches

well im a dog groomer and i give my dogs their shots yearly and they have never had any problems i think its better to give them their yearly shots because there is always that one chance that your dog coule catch a disease, espacially since you hace a breed that needs regular grooming. because your dog could catch any thing from a grooming salon since we cant use bleach around the dogs we can only use a mild cleaner. im not saying that taking your dog to the groomers is bad because if you dont then your dog may end up with many other health prob just form their hair. also there are some places that you can go to get the shots for you dog that are much cheeper. i go to a place called EL MEL and they have the 8 in1 shot for only $6.50. the only problem my dogs have ever had is mild swelling at the injection site, one problenm you might have with this method is that you have to give the shot to your do g your self. its not that bad though. you should still take ur dog to get check ups.

peaches answered on 2/26/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Zackintosh CJ

In a word: Yes.
5-way or 7-way shots are baaaad. Parvo is contagious, yes, but if a dog gets it once he never has it again.
I agree with all you mentioned in your question, I live in the country, where I should supposedly be getting my dog vaccinated for everything because he's exposed to more, I just get him his yearly rabies (Because its too pricey for us to titer and its the law) I've only gotten any of my dogs shots when they are pups excepting rabies and they were all fine.
If you must vaccinate every year, go for the individual shot, not the 5 or 7 way combos. If you don't NEED all the shots for showing and such, then simply don't get them!
Vaccinating every year is as antiqued as wringer washing machines, vets just aren't getting it. Think about it, they do that plus recommend Hills dog food for everything which is a very, very, very, very bad food! One of the worst kind out there!
Go to a holistic vet for more info at ahvma.org

Zackintosh CJ answered on 2/26/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Hello, I sure do understand your concern. I am going to suggest you look at Dr. Dodd's sites on Vaccinations. She suggests many but not ALL. I do vaccinate my dogs each year. AFTER a number of shots then I do blood tests ( Titers)-
So yes, the pup needs some shots but adult dogs do not need all the shots that the VETs tell you to get. READ as much as you can:
YOU can visit all experts for more info -

source :

Alternatives in Pet Meds / All Experts
Pet Nurse Marie

en.allexperts.com

I know what you are saying yes there is alot of studies out there to suggest shots affecting dogs in such a way or the pups in the second and third generations.
It is scary to read this stuff.
The shots are killed bacteria so the chances of reactions or bad vaccines are very rare/ the same with human vaccines. There are very rare cases. The puppy shots only last so long and they are given in small doses. I would never recommend someone not protecting their pups againist parvo.
Rabies shots are usually one that no one questions, I mean it is best for everyone.:)
Parvo is deadly in pups along with rabies. Rabies is infectious by bite and salva.