Sandy

Does anyone know of any natural treatment for dogs with allergies and excessive itching?

I have a 3 year old cocker spaniel. About a year and a half ago she started excessively itching her ears and licking and biting her feet. I took her to the vet, and she was diagnosed with allergies. The vet gave her a medication similar to benedryl and a steroid shot. Both work for a short period of time. After the medication wears off, she is back to contstantly itching. My question is: Does anyone know of any natural treatment for allergies and exsessive itching? I don't want to continue taking my dog to the vet to get steroid shots, and I don't want her to have to take medication for the rest of her life. Any suggestions?

Asked by Sandy on Jan 3rd 2009 in Allergies

Answers

Zackintosh CJ

Thats good you don't want her on meds forever.
Try switching to a raw diet, more info at dogaware.com whole-dog-journal.com and barfworld.com
Try going grain free too, that usually is what makes dogs itch. Try an elimination diet also to see what foods she's allergic to.
Try a holistic vet, look for one at ahvma.org

Zackintosh CJ answered on 1/3/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

MACH ADCH Lilliana TQX

My puppy had some of the same issues earlier this year, with hot spots (itching by the ears/neck). I suspected she had an intolerance to gluten or grains and changed foods.

So, first, take a look at what Sandy eats (treats and food). Ice Cream may have gluten in it. Keep it limited to just a lick every so often or get special doggie ice cream like Frosty Paws.

Grain free may help you, but grain free dry dog food is pricey. There is a website called dogfoodanalysis dot com, that gives decent reviews of dry foods.

We tried the Blue Buffalo (Blue) product line with success as a puppy. We have not tried their adult foods. If you do try Blue, I'd go with the Chicken and Brown Rice formula to avoid fish based ingredients, and the potential for unhealthy preservatives.

We are planning to transition to Innova (regular not EVO) Adult Red Meat Small Bites next.

If you feed a raw diet, it requires diligence to ensure a balanced nutritional content.

MACH ADCH Lilliana TQX answered on 1/3/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

hercules

try brewers yeast tablets, fish oil capsules and cornstarch baby powder.

hercules answered on 1/3/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Benne

Sandy if you give some more info. we can be more helpful.
What exactly are you allergic to? Are your ears just itchy or do they develop a yeast infection? What type of food do you eat?
I'm pretty sure you can't add to your question so repost or pawmail me and maybe I can give you some suggestions.

Benne answered on 1/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hi! Had exact same problem with my dog and my mom's. I agree the shots are short term and not a good option. My vet suggested fish oil capsules. They have both been on them for about three months now and they work GREAT!! I would caution, my vet told me to make sure the dosing is correct so make sure you buy the correct capsule size that correlates to the weight of your dog. We give them to them almost everyday. My mom's dog actually like them, mine won't eat it unless it's wrapped in cheese or liverwurst. (She's not a stupid dog!) Definately give it a try, we are so happy with the results.

Sooty

Woof! Woof! Sandy!
First do NOT eat any form of commercial dog food unless you can guarantee it is on the safe list. Eat what the humans eat ~ brown rice, boneless fish, chicken breasts, vegetables and fruit, yoghurt, healthy food etc. (no chocolate!)
Second, bathe with apple cider vinegar in the water, about a cup full for a big basin. Rub the ACV well into the skin like conditioner before washing off. Do this regularly and it can completely stop itchy skin and make the hair beautiful too!
Third, go to my website and learn more about the truth and dangers of commercial dog diets!
www.freewebs.com/mysooty
Woof! Woof!
Sooty

Sooty answered on 1/6/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hershey

Our 3 year old Cairn suffers from excessive itching. We recently saw a holistic vet. Some suggestions she gave us include:
- NO BEEF, NO DAIRY, NO CORN, NO WHEAT
-she prefers dogs with allergies to get a home-cooked diet or raw with supplements
-1500 mg of fish oil daily (dog is 31 pounds)
-calcium tablet, vitamin D tablets, add vitaming K to diet
-anything that the dog sleeps on must be washed weekly in hot water with a second rince - fragrance-free soap no fabric softener. This includes all dog bedding, sheets, blankets oh, and stuffed toys.
-keep dust to a minimum in the home
-we are using Polysporin and Hydrocortisone creams on all red, raw spots.
-vet suggested Atopica - our Cairn suffered some severe diarrhea and I refuse to use steroids because of all the side-effects.

Hershey answered on 1/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Maximus

We have been through the same thing since November. Our Shiba was diagnosed with atopic dermatitis after allergy testing in Feb. He is allergic to human dander and epithelials, dust and dust mites, and every plant and insect known to man. Including grass. We had to get rid of all of our furniture and treat our house for dust mites. We also may have to remove all carpet from our house. If your doggie sleeps in your bed, you may also have to treat all mattresses, blankets, etc. Anywhere dust can settle. We treat his skin with a natural green tea spray which soothes his booboos. We just started Max on Atopica, after many unsuccessful trials to get him better. We are hoping that this works, unfortunately the next step would be weekly allergy shots. After all of the research, we have found that with animal allergies, much like humans, it is something that is lifelong and has to be treated with medication so that our baby bear is living his life to the fullest. Hope this helps.

Maximus answered on 4/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Phazor

It sounds like Sandy is having a really rough time with allergies. :( There is a new product available called PetAirapy. I don't know if you've heard of it, but it uses UVC light technology and allergen filters in air purifying units to get rid of the causes of pet's allergies. Go to www.PetAirapy.com if you want to read more about the technology behind it!

Phazor answered on 2/17/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer