Does anyone know of a air blowing pet bed?

I have a 14 year old Shih Tzu, completely deaf & sight now beginning to fail, who because of her age sleeps most of the day. The problem is her underside (belly & back legs) stay moist, swell & have a bad odor due to lack of circulation and/or air getting to them since she stays curled up in a ball. We give her a "sponge" bath daily and a weekly bath (vet has advised us no more then weekly due to rest of her skin getting too dry) but what we really need is air circulation. Is there such a bed for dogs that would have a constant gentle blowing of air thru the pad? Like how an air hockey table produces a constant layer of air just above the surface....Something that would allow air to circulate beneath her to help keep her comfortable. Thank you!

Asked by Member 1081941 on Jan 4th 2012 Tagged bed in Senior Pet

Answers

Lil Man IZZ

I was moved to write you to tell you how much your love & devotion for your pet touched me. Your dear furbaby is lucky to have you as her guardian. If you think she can tolerate it, would it be possible to gently put a hair dryer on cool & hand dry her 2x a day when you turn her? Also, any fabric that wicks away moisture might help when used on top of her bedding. Wish I had a better answer for you. ((HUGS)) to you.

Lil Man IZZ answered on 1/4/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I would suggest pee pads, BUT...buy the human ones since they do not have the odor attractant that the dog ones have.
They would wick the moisture away and keep her dry and comfy.
Better still would be to put them over one of the so called egg carton foam dog beds... that would allow even more air to move around under her.
Those pee pads are designed to keep the top layer dry so should be perfect for something like this.