!~Bella~!

Does anyone know anything about hawks?

We have 3 chis & recently I have been seeing hawks flying
around our home. Yesterday 1 was even in our tree. Now I am afraid to take my chis outside. Does anyone know if a hawk will try & come after my dogs even if I am outside with my dogs (I ALWAYS go out with them). Also could a hawk grab my dog if I am walking them on a chain? Any input from any of you knowledgeable dogsters would be deeply appreciated!!!! Thank You!

Asked by !~Bella~! on Jun 16th 2009 Tagged hawks in Answers

Answers

I think your best bet is not to leave the dogs unsupervised outside and not to let them get too far from you. The likelihood of a hawk taking a chance with you in the yard is slimmer, but if the dog gets far enough from you, he might be willing to try it. I don't know how little your chis are, but it's not something i'd risk!

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 6/16/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Zuma

Hawks .... I Don't Think a hawk would be willing/ Or want to try to grab any type of dog, But don't risk it! Just keep them close to the house, And watch them closely. Since their smell! The hawks could scare them. But like i said, No hawk should try to attack/grab your chis.

Have a great day!

Zuma answered on 6/16/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Max (aka Sebastian)

It is possible for a bird of prey to try and get smaller dogs. Most Hawks can't lift something greater then 4 pounds, but they can still cause injury/death even if unable to lift a small animal. There have been news articles in the past about hawks attacking small dogs. A yorkie in Pittsburg was killed back in 04 and a dachshund puppy weighing 8-9lbs was attacked back in 06 while being walked by his human. There was also a news story 2 years ago out of flordia where residents thought thier dogs were being taken by the birds.
In many states Hawks are protected, so the only thing you can do is make sure you walk out with your pupps while they are on a short leash (so they are always close by)
It is rare that a Hawk attack would happen, especially with a human close by, but with the loss of habitat, and possbile food supplies becoming low, it is possible. Just watch them and keep them close, just in case.

Max (aka Sebastian) answered on 6/16/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

McKenzie

Yes a Hawk may try to attack you dog even if you're out there with it. We had an owner bring a yorkie in that had been attacked by an owl no more than 2-3 feet infront of them. As previously stated there's a good chance that the Hawks are protected to you have to be careful how you deal with them. Your best option would be to call your local animal control or a licensed pest company for advice on what to do about them. In the meantime I would try to set up a covered playpen outdoors so your pups will be protected and still able to enjoy a limited area of their yard.

McKenzie answered on 6/16/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I've seen red tail hawks easily snatch squirrels & pigeons. Can't tell how big your dogs are but Bella looks tiny, definately would not leave her outside. The thing is hawks try to make the kill right away by grabbing its' prey and the impact. I've seen them then eat their prey while still clutching it in the talons but I've also seen them lift their prey to a nearby tree and eat it there. Contact a local birding group/audubon and ask for help id'ing hawk. A hawk is going to want to be able to lift it's prey if need be so it's not going to go for something too big or heavy. I'm concerned that you report the hawks are hanging around. They may consider your dogs prey. I doubt they'd grab a dog walking on a chain but if the dog is small and running around in a yard you need to be careful. Your presence is not going to stop a hungry hawk. My dad & I were in his yard when a redtail scared the heck out of us, it landed on a pigeon @ 15 ft away

Kayak

My brother is an ornithologist and he says hawks, the big ones like the red tails could take out a chis.
Hawks are beautiful awesome birds. NO animal control guy with a net is gonna come and capture it and rid you of your worries. Just keep an eye out when you have your dogs outside. I've known of one having been killed by a hawk, it was a shame but the hawk was just being a hawk. They are wild animals, yet they don't go around biting and attacking peoples ankles, and just being all around nasty.
Just get into the habit of looking and if you see them in the trees simply bring the dogs in.

Kayak answered on 6/16/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I think a hawk might mistake your tiny dog for a prey food.
A good ideal not to leave them unattended at any time.
The hawks are opportunists. They scoop up small prey in general.
The dog is no bigger than a squirrel so I would be careful

Seth

I have known people who had a dog attacked by a hawk. it didnt carry it away but it did leave a large scare on the dog. Yes i would be very careful and do something like someone said put themin a covered pen or something for awhile until they decide to leave.

Seth answered on 6/16/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Sassy

I have read stories about hawks carrying off leashed dogs. It might be a good idea to always be with your dogs when outside or maybe building a covered pen for them to be outside safely. Walking with my sister I have seen large hawks intently eyeing her tiny yorkie.

Sassy answered on 6/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

There are reports of hawks snatching puppies and small dogs. How much of a problem it is, is hard to quantify. There are many things claimed to be dangerous to dogs that many owners tolerate.

I am careful not to leave my Lab and other puppies outside alone until they are enough bigger than a rabbit, no hawk is going to make the mistake of trying to pick it up. I would like to know if that is prudent, or being a nervous Nellie. Of course, early in housebreaking, you need to be out there raving about what a good dog it is.

I have noted my neighbors have the same cats roaming the neighborhood for years without becoming anythings dinner.

Ace

I have heard of Hawks carrying off cats, so it wouldn't be surprising to hear of a tiny dog being carried off. I think you should keep close to your dogs, and maybe only take them out one at a time so that there aren't to many chances of your attention being diverted and the hawk swooping in on your dog. I'm sure that once the hawk figures out that he isn't going to get his way, he will take off, but I can see why you would be nervous. Just keep an eye on the dogs. I don't believe a hawk would actually grab one if you were close enough to be walking it on a chain, they don't generally like human contact. Hope this makes sense lol, and I hope it helps you.

Ace answered on 6/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer