Does anyone ever wonder, am i training my dog properly

As a dog owner i often wonder if i`m training Tia (6 month old rottie) propoerly, so far we havent had any major issues, just the usual puppy behaviour , and i must admit she`s doing well with some basic stuff, but i sometimes worry that i`m not doin the job well enough. Is it just me or does anyone else ever feel like this? Please don`t tell me that i should have gotten a smaller dog, i love rotties and we have had 2 in the past who lived very happily in the family
Thanks

Asked by Member 1083119 on Feb 22nd 2012 in Methods of Training

Answers

Pita

I think it's natural to worry about whether or not you are doing enough for your dog. :) If you're worried, perhaps adding structure will help? For instance, I've enjoyed taking obedience classes with my dogs. It helps me learn how to teach my dogs and get feedback on how they are doing, as well as get us out and doing stuff in an unfamiliar environment, which can help cement lessons (I've often found that something they do perfectly at home can be a huge challenge in a new place). If you can't find a class in your area or don't think it's a right fit for you, try training for the Canine Good Citizen test. You can find the guidelines at www.akc.org It's basically a test to make sure your dog is well-mannered around other people and dogs. Even if you don't end up taking the test for certification knowing you can walk your dogs reliably around strangers and other dogs should help set your mind at ease. :)

Pita answered on 2/22/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Yup. There's always going to be some things you could improve on, but it's normal to wonder.