Does a service dog count as a pet?

Im training my dog to be a service dog but we have 2 other dogs since roxy ( the dog I'm training ) is goin to be a service dog could I get another dog? I heard that service dogs don't count as a pet.

Asked by Member 1127550 on Sep 13th 2012 in Laws & Legislation

Answers

Sonny

This is a question for your local dog warden. A service dog is still a dog and usually towns have a limit on how many dogs you can have.

In my town, the limit is three permanent resident dogs. I can have puppies or foster dogs, as long as they don't stay. It doesn't matter what the dog does, service dog or not, the limit here is 3.

Sonny answered on 9/13/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Actually, as long as you are legally considered disabled, your trained service dog is NOT considered a pet, it is considered medical equipment, and it does not count as a pet and it is exempt from normal "pet" restrictions in most housing situations. HOWEVER, there are exceptions to the type of housing and you must be legally considered disabled by your doctor.
You can get more information by posting this question in the Service and Therapy dog Forums. Click on the drop down orange Community menu above, then select Forums, then scroll down to the Service dog forum.

Service dogs DO NOT count toward pets and in all the places I have lived before I had my service dog the towns we were allowed to have 5 dogs "registored" to us without being considered a boarding home. The foster k9s did not count because as one lady told me they are like your kids friends spending the night