Do the police have the right to shoot my dog in his yard when another dog off leash enters my yard?

My 5 yr old granddaughter allowed our dog out of our home. Once he was out the front door he found a dog in our yard & the two dogs started fighting. A policeman just happened to be driving by and saw the commotion & pulled over. From what I was told the policeman tried to separate the 2 dogs and couldn’t. Next he tried to shot my dog with a taser & missed so then he pulled his gun and shot my dog, which was 15 feet or so in his/our yard. I know my dog should not have been loose in the yard. However my dog was in his/our yard and the other dog was not on a leash and was also in our yard (trespassing). So it seems like because my dog is referred to a pitbull, even thou he is not & he is a American Staffordshire terrier he was shot thinking it must be his fault. My dog is recovering from the gun shot and I think the police department should be paying my vet bills! I would like some input as to if I should hire a lawyer so I can recover my money spent on vet bills?

Asked by Member 1136480 on Oct 18th 2012 in Animal Control

Answers

I would definitely hire a lawyer. Your dog was on your property. They had no right to shoot your dog. I hope he recovers well. Please give us an update on his condition in a few days. We would love to hear how he is doing. Good Luck! :)

Seth

I think I would at least talk to a lawyer and see if you have a case. But then is the money you pay a lawyer going to be more then you will get. Something to think about. I wish you the best and I hope you do get them to pay.

Seth answered on 10/19/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer