do shar pei have a tendancy to smell or stink?

Asked by Member 1005603 on Sep 26th 2010 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Jazzy

they will stink if you do not wash the crevices in the wrinkles.. If that sentence makes any sense. Are you thinking about getting a shar pei? If you are please do the research on this breed. You must know all of the hereditary diseases..

Jazzy answered on 9/26/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Cody

If you don't clean out their wrinkles, bacteria and yeast can build up in there, and that will probably smell. I don't know if they have a strong "doggie" odor like some breeds do.

But that would be one of the last factors I would look at when deciding if this was the right breed for me. They have a personality and temperament that many people can't handle or aren't prepared for, and whether that was a good fit for my lifestyle would be my first concern.

Cody answered on 9/26/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ava

I once met a really, really stinky Shar-Pei, but it was most likely because his owners didn't clean out his wrinkles. Then again, his owners also smelled kinda..... you know. ;)

I've met other Shar-Peis who didn't have any smell to them, other than normal dog-smell that every breed has.

Ava answered on 9/26/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ch. Opal - BN, RE, CGC

Opal has a slight smell but is do to her ear infection. She is bathed regularly though

Ch. Opal - BN, RE, CGC answered on 12/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

♥Lola♥

I have only own sharpei's and one of my pei's has a fritto smell to them which I love! I have not had any problems with their wrinkles at all if I don't wash them!

♥Lola♥ answered on 2/25/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Birdy

I know 3 of them and 2 mixes and they do all seem to be a little smell but nit tat bad. Well one of them is but he has such bad allergies and is always chewing on himself no matter how hard his owner tries to help him.

Birdy answered on 2/28/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Vance CGC

Shar peis (and a few other breeds) have different skin oils than most dogs. I am very aware of this because I am allergic to it. If I hug a Shar pei I will break out in a hive-y red rash that lasts for several hours. Not that this is a huge issue - most Shar pei do not appreciate being hugged. I don't find that this makes them stink, but different body chemistry may produce a different scent than the standard "dog smell."

As mentioned, they are also prone to yeast build up in their skin if their wrinkles are not cleaned. This can smell terrible.

The overall health of a dog also effects their scent. A dog fed a low-quality diet it may be allergic to will often stink. My dogs are on a natural, whole-food diet and don't stink at all. Non-dog owners who visit my 2 bedroom apartment are shocked to find that we actually have 3 hairy, 50lb dogs living there.

In any case, keep doing breed research. Go meet some Shar pei and get to know them. Join breed groups and speak to owners.

Vance CGC answered on 7/11/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

The Shar-Pei is the breed of dog I've had in my home for over 25 years. Have their routine include Weekly ear cleaning, baths twice a month and this breed will not not be stinky. They do however have a blubbery muzzle which has an oder of it's own. The Shar-Pei with skin issues will have an oder caused by a moist yeast bacteria. Using a 4% Chlorhexadine shampoo for bathing is recommended to prevent these issues. This will also cut vet costs and medication use such as steroids and antibiotics. Overall this is a very clean breed.

Shai

My mom has lived with 5 shar pei. Two of them had cutaneous mucinosis that was well controlled with frequent bathing. He did have an odor close to bath day. "Mucin is the substance in the Shar-Pei skin that causes all the wrinkling. It is clear and stringy and acts like glue in fight wounds." Some Shar-Pei have an excess of Mucin causing it to form clear bubbles on the skin that may rupture and ooze. Mucin is what makes Shar-Pei skin wrinkle and gives them padding on their muzzles and hocks. It is normal for Shar-Pei. Sometimes excessive mucin bubbles up in the skin, forming vesicles. This is called cutaneous mucinosis. These vesicles can be fragile and spontaneously break causing the sticky substance to ooze out. It is normally not a problem for the dog."
All of them had chronic fungus infections in their ears and required daily cleaning. Their ears had a funky smell up close.

Do not get a sharpei without researching this breed.

Shai answered on 2/17/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer