Do NOT put hydrogen peroxide on a deep cut or wound!

I saw someone on Answers suggest pouring hydrogen peroxide on a deep cut on someone's dog...DO NOT EVER put hydrogen peroxide on a deep cut or wound as it will damage the tissue!
It is o.k. to clean a superficial or minor wound or cut with it however.

Asked by Member 73926 on Jan 6th 2008 in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

It really depends on what you're using it for.

A deep cut or deep injury should never have a bunch of hydrogen peroxide dumped on it, but it's great for treating minor cuts, scrapes, and abrasions on dogs (and cats). The problem is that it does sting and it "fizzles". Betadine is usually a better solution in terms of first aid and safe to use on all critters.

Hydrogen peroxide should still be found in everyone's canine first aid kit at home, though, because it has tons of uses.

It is commonly used to make dogs throw up after they've ingested something poisonous. A mixture of hydrogen peroxide and baking soda helps get skunk smell off your dog. And it's great at cleaning blood out of the carpet should you ever accidentally cut the quick when doing your dog's nails. Among other uses.

Abby answered on Jan 6th.

Answers

Yikes! That would have been me.

Thanks Pippin. :)

My mistress uses hydro peroxide to clean the area out after they pulled a tick though. I get lots of ticks fur some reason, even with Advantage.

Keeva & Xena

I have read (in Animal Wellness Magazine, I believe) that you NEVER use hydrogen peroxide on dogs. Hydrogen peroxide kills the bad cells, like bacteria and critters, but it also does not discriminate, so it kills good cells too. I was watching Dr. M. Oz (on Oprah, I believe) and he said it should not be used on human skin, either. He did say that we could use it on things to disinfect them (like earrings), but not directly on the skin.

I use Tea Tree oil on my dogs. It is a natural antibiotic, can be deluted to minimize the effect on a dog's sensitive skin (I used it full strength on my dogs, but they don't have skin problems), only takes a drop or two and the dogs don't like the smell of it, so they leave the affected area alone.

I suffer from a somewhat depressed immunue system, so I often get infections. I use tea tree oil exclusively now for bug bites, cuts, scraps, etc., and have noticed that my healing time is much quicker. My husband is now a believer too!

Keeva & Xena answered on 1/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

amy

wow. thanks.my parents usually make me put peroxide on everything.

amy answered on 1/7/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer