Do Havanese Shed?

Do they? We are considering getting one but the dog we get can't shed.

Asked by Member 772720 on Nov 26th 2008 Tagged havanese, shedding in Havanese

Answers

No, Havanese do not shed. They have hair like people instead of fur. The hair will continue to grow. They are considered hypoallergenic as well. The longer you keep your dog's coat, the more high maintenance it will be and your dog will need to be brushed daily to prevent matting and to remove the dead hairs.

Havense can get tear stains though, so if you don't want to deal with the staining and eye care, make sure the parents don't have tear stains.

Princess

No, they actually don't shed! I know that's wierd considering how long their hair is, butt they actually don't. Like the other person said they have hair like us humans. They just shed like we do...every once in a while.

Hope this helps!!!
Princess, the lovable chihuahua

Princess answered on 11/26/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

~Emma~ RL1

For dogs it is called a coat.

They do have a double coat. Although it is light, and silky.

The one thing I can say with low shedding dogs (as there is no such thing as non-shedding), is this...You have to be prepared for the grooming. The dog will probably need to be combed down a few times a week, to keep the coat mat free. If you don't cut your dogs hair yourself, be prepared to take it to the groomer. The saddest thing to see is a matted coat on a dog.

These are pretty cool dogs. As long as your a ready for the grooming needs you should be fine.

p.s. if someone tries to sell you a "non-shedding" dog run the other way. Every animal sheds, some more than others, but we all shed.

~Emma~ RL1 answered on 11/26/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Willie Wonka

No havanese don't shed. I should know. I have one. So there is such a thing as a dog that doesn't shed. Emma, I'm guessing you don't have a havanese. My havanese is great. You should really get one!

Willie Wonka answered on 10/31/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer