Einstein

Do dogs really need to take heart worm meds?

I have my dogs on heart guard but its really starting to hurt my wallet. Is there a cheaper way to prevent heart worm? Do dogs really need to take it anyways?

Thanks!

Asked by Einstein on Sep 27th 2010 in Heartworm Control

Best Answer

If you live in Arizona, you may not have mosquitos as they need standing water to breed. If you don't have mosquitos you don't need heartguard.

If you do have mosquitos, you can switch to a generic like Iverhart, it's about 3/4 the cost of Heartguard.

You do however need flea and tick medicine.

Other Heartworm options to discuss with your Vet...
dogs.lovetoknow.com

Snickers answered on Sep 30th.

Answers

Jazzy

it all depends on where you live too. I live in las vegas and the vets here don't even bother giving heart worm tests or meds cuz we don't have very many mosquitos here. Mosquitos carry the heart worm larva. IF you have a lot of mosquitos in your living area you may want to keep your dog on the heart guard.

Jazzy answered on 9/27/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

The cost of the meds is way cheaper than treating heart worm disease.
Deogie is on the meds, plus he is tested every year, probably waste of money for the test but better to be safe than sorry.
If you have mosquitoes, your dog has a chance of getting heart worm if untreated.