Cookie

Do dogs get bored of the food they eat everyday ?

sometimes my dog does not wanted to eat her food even she was hungry (she had not eaten any since morning) .

Asked by Cookie on Feb 22nd 2008 Tagged boredoffood in Pet Food

Best Answer

Tom

No, I don't believe dogs get bored eating the same thing. Mainly because they have only a small fraction of the number of taste buds people have - they just don't crave variety.

If you've got your dog on a top quality food, perhaps you're feeding her more than she wants. If she were hungry, she'd eat. It's also not uncommon for dogs to skip meals. If you're not free-feeding your dog, just pick up her food after about 20 minutes if she doesn't want it.

If she's at a good weight, don't worry!

Tom answered on Feb 22nd.

Answers

♥Tiffy♥

I think they do, especially if you feed her people food. My Tiffy is very picky and will only eat when she wants to. Or sometimes she may just may not be hungry. Let the food sit there, when she gets hungry enough, she will eat.

♥Tiffy♥ answered on 2/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Roscoe the Racehound™

She may simply be not hungry.
Do you leave food out for her all day?
I had the same problem with my pup when he went on a 'dominance trip.'
Try putting her on a feeding schedule, and if you are-don't feed her people food.
Feeding a dog twice a day is a good schedule, and if she doesn't it pick it up and don't feed her til it's time for her next feeding.

Good luck

Roscoe the Racehound™ answered on 2/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

A study showed that dogs who have a varied diet are much less picky about eating as they age. Some vets are beginning to recommend changing food seasonally, as long as it is done gradually over a week or so.

IMO, the results of this study depends on so many external factors, I'm not sure the results are realistic. For example, it could be that the dogs who had different food had more attention in general and were better adjusted and in better health in older age and that coud have been a reason they were less picky.

In any case, I think that dogs can be perfecly happy eating the same food. AND, some dogs like variety. Each dogs is an individual.

True, dogs have fewer taste buds than we do, but that only means they either like something or don't. No real ambivelance.

Other things that effect appetite: not enough exercise or having to go potty, so take her for a walk prior to her meals to make sure she has room and has worked up an appetite.

Lennox

Most of my dogs do great eating a consistent diet every day. Changing diets consistently can cause bowel irritation, diarrhea, etc. However, I can tell you that when Lennox was young, he lost a lot of weight. I would change his diet and his weight would pick back up again. A few months later, it would start all over again with him not eating. After numerous medical tests, it was determined that he just didn't like that food anymore. Even though he'd eat the food for several months and just stop. I continue to deal with this with him. All my other dogs prefer to eat the same food over and over again. But, there has to be some truth to them getting bored. My cats want to eat dog food, dogs want to eat my cat food, puppies want "dog" food and dogs want "puppy" food. I think some dogs are fine with the same food for long periods, others just won't deal with eating the same food for months/years on end. If your dog's not eating, I'd switch foods (gradually) and see if it helps

Lennox answered on 2/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

HAYLEE

WE GET BORED WITH THE SAME OLE FOOD EVERYDAY!! MOM HA TO CHANGE IT UP AND FEW WEEKS, OR MIX IT WITH OTHER STUFF. SAME OLD STUFF TWICE A DAY, DAY AFTER DAY...YUCK.

WE MIX AND MATCH KIBBLES, ADD WARM MEAT, SOMETIMES, VEGGIES, OR RICE,EVEN PUT SOME PAST IN A FEW TIMES. SOMETIME THEY WILL LIKE A LITTLE CANNED DOGGGIE FOOD IN WITH THE KIBBLE, BUT ITS NOT A FAVORITE.
USUALLY BOILED CHICKEN AND RICE IS BEST FOR MY KIDS

HAYLEE answered on 2/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Persy

Persy's vet said that dogs do Not get bored of the same flavor every day. We had wondered about this when we first got him. If your dog is refusing her food, she might be constipated. As a daily regimen, you could try adding olive oil (extra virgin) to her kibble at each meal and see if this makes for 'smoother' sailing. For right now, though, if she refuses her food and is not pooping, go to the vet! It could be a serious blockage.

Persy answered on 2/24/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Kewpie

I feel your pain. The last two weeks have been a struggle when it comes to meal time. Kewpie has been picking at her food -- eating only a few kibbles at a time -- if any. We bought her different food (changed to Lamb instead of Chicken) and are now mixing it with Venison wet food and her old food. She cannot get enough of it! And we are thrilled about that. So now our plan is to phase out the old food and slowly decrease the wet food.

Kewpie answered on 3/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer