Do dogs get blackheads on their back?

My dog is a cocker spaniel 11 years old. she is itching bad and I just found a spot on her back, like a black head. started to squeeze it and some came out but more is deep inside and it hurt her and some hair came off around the sore when I was squeezing. Has any one heard of this?

Asked by Member 1005395 on Sep 23rd 2010 in Skin Problems

Answers

she needs a vet to look at them.
also don't squeeze them because that opens the skin, now any bacteria can enter it. popping those are a big no no. my vet yelled at me once, cause I did that. They were just fatty cysts.
They should go away. Also switch your food for her.
Are you feeding corn or Diamond products.??

Petri

Dogs can definitely get acne. You can talk/call your vet to find out a good shampoo to use to help cut down on grease. I personally love to use PETfection Puppy Suds because it is 100% Organic and Non Toxic. Sometimes chemicals in shampoo's can make itching worse. This one is very gentle and cleans extremely well. It will also help with the itching and any infection. If you want more info you can check it out at www.myPETfection.com. You may also need to start applying an antibacterial spray to her skin or black head spots. You can check out PETfection's Hot Spots/Wound Spray or Deodorizer/Allergy Spray for this. Hope this helps, best of luck!

Petri answered on 10/8/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Dozer ~ CGC

My Mini Schnauzer also gets things like that along his back and neck. I talked to his vet about it and he said that they were a form of staff infection and that I shouldn't pop them.

I've only heard of Schnauzers getting these, so I don't know about Cockers. Talk to your vet about it and see what he says. Bathing her in a natural shampoo and cutting corn out of her diet can also help her skin.

Dozer ~ CGC answered on 11/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Cheyenne

I get these too, Mainly when I get hot. But mine are not small they are really big and very itchy. My Daddy did pop one , tons of white stuff comes out and a little hair, and my itchy stopped.

Now Mommy and Daddy wash me with Oatmeal shampoo and they seemed to have diminished. As long as I dont get to hot they dont seem to happen often anymore.

Cheyenne answered on 3/24/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Vinnie My Guardian Angel

My dogggie is an 11 year old Border collie. Our new vet said "if they don't bother him- the cysts), don't worry about it."
Our new groomer said it was best to give him a shave- he had a greasy coat, rolling around in the grass. I wouldn't worry. The acne/cysts are basically harmless.
Still, I tried to squezze one, and he yelped- so I don't want to hurt him.
Best thing to say: Let your Vet consider what to do, and we keep our doggies clean!
Oatmeal is moisterising, and I use that and Mane& Tail and let him Air dry. He feels comfortable after that!
The he rolls around in the backyard! SIGH!
Good luck with those cysts. Yuk- I wish my collie didn't have them. But if they don't hurt, then don't worry yourself.
Best wishes, Vinnie

Vinnie My Guardian Angel answered on 4/12/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You bet, all of my mini schnauzers have developed these after the age of 8. My vet called it schnauzer back, but I would think it would go for any breed.

Puff

My Maltese Puff had a terrible case of blackheads from the base of his neck down to his tail. The vet has assured me that blackheads are common and not contagious. The treatment is frequent baths with a special shampoo followed by medication which is put on top of the blackheads to dry them up.

You should refrain from pinching anything as it might end up spreading the aliment. Only your vet can determine if it is a blackhead or something more serious.

Puff answered on 9/9/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer