do chihuahua's like to go jogging?

Asked by Member 771104 on Nov 21st 2008 in Exercise

Answers

Chihuahuas don't really make very good jogging companions since they are so small and have to go pretty fast to keep up with an adult's jogging stride, even if you jog closely.

If your idea of jogging is to slowly trot to the end of the block and back, then you can probably take your Chi jogging with you, but make sure to build him up slowly to running, so he does not get injured. Dogs, like people, need to be conditioned to run distances.

If your jogging is serious runs - like several miles - and at a normal adult pace, then you're probably best off leaving your Chi at home and jogging with a friend.

Miss Buddie

Not particularly, but they would love to snuggle up with you when you get back. :D

Miss Buddie answered on 11/21/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Chihuahuas are active dogs and love to get exercise, but I don't necessarily recommend actually taking them on runs with you. Chihuahuas are so small that it can be difficult for them to run and keep up with you. It can also be very hard on their knees, as luxating patellas can be quite common in Chihuahuas. I have many of them, but don't take them running with me. They go on daily walks, and even that can be quite the exercise for them - most human's walking pace is a fairly quick trot for Chihuahuas.

Cocoa Bean

No, that is a little too much exercise for a Chihuahua. You can take them for walks when the weather conditions are good ( not too cold or very hot). My Chihuahuas can keep me company while I do some walking around the neighborhood for about 30 minutes at slow or walking pace. Be sure to offer water to your dogs when you go back home or during the walk if you see them tired. The downside is that sometimes if they are tired you will have to carry them back home. Hey wait! That is great exercise too. :P

Cocoa Bean answered on 11/21/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer