Do blue heelers like to kill armadillos and/or possums?

I'm thinking of getting a blue heeler. I need to know if they will patrol and keep armadillos out of my yard. I'm infested with these armadillos and they are constantly tearing up my yard.

Asked by Member 1141018 on Nov 16th 2012 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Leo

Most dogs have a drive to at least chase smaller animals, and possibly kill them, and a blue heeler is no exception, although no one can tell you if a particular individual will have any interest in that.

However, be aware that possums and armadillos can carry many diseases and parasites, not least among which is rabies and even leprosy (in the case of armadillos), and it could be dangerous for your dog AND your family if your dog is coming in contact with these animals and even their droppings.

A dog will probably help a lot in keeping these animals out of your yard, but if you just want a dog to control pests, or if you plan to keep it outside all or most of the time to patrol your yard, you probably shouldn't get a dog, as they need lots and lots of human attention and socialization to be fair to them and give them a good life. You don't want to buy a dog for pests and them have it turn into a psychotic barker or to give it a poor quality of life.

Leo answered on 11/17/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Blue

Leo is pretty much right about one thing. Having a dog to do a pest control is bad. Armadillos and Possums carry rabies and such, However If they do, they'd only come out during the day. As for us, I have a Blue Heeler mix and we have a lot of these pests. He'd be only scaring them off.

I had Blue for 8 years and he never once had a rabie shot and still today? None. But I would just be careful!

Any dog will most likely chase the pests away, and considering Blue Heelers are like hunting dogs, They would kill them.
Just keep an eye out on your dog.

Blue answered on 11/17/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer