Do all female dogs kill the grass in the lawn with their urine?

Asked by Member 1031341 on Apr 20th 2011 Tagged females, lawn, urine, sex, characteristics in Dogs and a Clean Home

Answers

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru

I thought only my male was doing it, he does kill grass.
Then the females, two of them one of them or both of them are also, now the snow has melted I see burn spots everywhere.

There is a supplement you can buy , but i have three dogs.

The vet told me, but I can't remember what level is off causing it.

I use the sprinkler in the summer where they pee that will help some, but in the off season, it really hurts my grass :(

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru answered on 4/21/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Try putting down lime & watering it in well. I use drywall dust..not the fire treated stuff, just regular. I have friends in the trades, so they bring me scraps. Peel the paper off, crush it & sprinkle liberally where the burn spots are. Water it in & in a few weeks it will be green grass again.

Pee (all pee, dog, human, male or female) has a lot of nitrogen in it. A little is good for plants, too much kills it.

My 3 have the habit of peeing in the mulch outside our back door off the patio. It actually has killed one of the dwarf spruce trees.

Watering down the spot right away can help.

You can buy pills at petsmart that help to cut down on the burning off the grass. It may also be the food that you are feeding could have somethign to do with this also.