did kibbles & bits kill my dog?

My 13 yr old min pin has only EVER eaten kibbles and bits-very rarely would I ever allow her to eat anything else(peaplefood,other dogfoods etc.)for her ENTIRE life ( i didnt want her to get picky) and she has developed diabetes.did this dogfood give her diabetes? or can dogs get diabetes for hereditary reasons (or any other possible reasons why) other than the food she has always been fed?Can dogs get it for genetic reasons or only from their diet?

Asked by Member 1116227 on Jun 17th 2012 Tagged kibblesandbits, diabetes, isdiabetesinheriteorgenetic in Diabetes

Answers

There is some effect of diet because it cant be happen automatically.

Tommy

Elderly dogs can develop diabetes even if they have good nutrition. The greatest contributor is obesity. Diabetes does run in families of dogs. Kibbles and Bits is not the best dog food for this and now you must modify her diet for the disease. Since there are a lot of fillers in commercial dog food, please consult your Vet on the course of action as to what her diet should include. She can continue to live well given the proper care.

Tommy answered on 6/18/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Kazba

Digs can get it both from diet and genetics just the same as people do. Kibbles and bits would be at the low end of the dig foods that are sold. You may want to check on the bag and see if sugar is in the mix. I know people that gave their dog beneful and it did cause the dog to get diabetes

Kazba answered on 6/21/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer