Meekah

Dental products for dogs?

My dog hates getting her teeth brushed and I feel somewhat bad having to do it. I have seen so many sprays that seem easier and less stressful but have never talked anybody that's used them. Are they effective? Any recommendations of good products?

Asked by Meekah on Nov 8th 2012 Tagged dental in Health & Wellness

Answers

Chase

Not a true 'dental product' but once or twice a week Chase gets a raw meaty bone to gnaw on, plus whatever bones she has laying around the house. She has little to no build up on her teeth.
I've never brushed her teeth, or used a spray of any sort. She was at the vet recently and the vet seemed pleasantly surprised at the state of her teeth.

Chase answered on 11/8/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Harper Lee

I don't use sprays or toothpaste. I give my dog hard dog biscuits as snacks and let her chew on Nylabones (about $8-don't get the puppy one unless your dog really is a puppy. It's cheaper but an adult dog will be able to actually eat it. The adult Nylabones take months to wear down.) I get my dog's teeth cleaned by her vet once or twice a year. It's included in her vet plan. Her teeth are pearly white, her breath has no odor.

Harper Lee answered on 11/8/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Proper diet along with RMB's will do the most good for your dog's teeth. Foods with sugars and/or high in carbohydrates (which convert to sugar) will feed any bacteria and result in tartar buildup.
By feeding foods with meat as the main ingredient and providing RMB's several times a week this tartar can be prevented.
I have toy breeds and NONE of them have dental disease nor do I need to risk their health by having them undergo anesthesia for professional tooth cleaning. Their teeth are clean and pearly white with just good diet and access to these RMB's. Some of these dogs are in their teens and have never required a professional cleaning!
Sprays are only a bandaid... while they may help, coupled with proper diet and good oral hygiene, they will not remove tartar already present.

Obviously nothing is as good as a dental cleaning from the vet, but you might try PETfection Breath Freshener Spray. It is 100% Organic and Non Toxic. In place of brushing you can put this spray on a cotton ball or cloth and then wipe off the teeth. It is great for helping with bacteria, plaque, & bad breath!!! If you use it regularly (every day especially at the beginning) you will notice a difference. Hope this helps!

Seth

Most of those sprays do not work at all. I use greenies to help keep my dogs teeth clean. I still have to brush them. But it makes it easier to the the stuff off the teeth.

Seth answered on 11/16/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Start giving her raw meaty bones! Raw meaty bones clean teeth. Raw meaty bones due the best job at cleaning teeth and they get the job done.

Learn more about feeding raw meaty bones at www.dogster.com

Raw meaty bones are the most effective teeth cleaner ever.