Deadly fights between 3 yr old German shepherd brothers since their father died. Any solutions?

I used to own 6 pure german shepherds 3 males and 3 females the males were the father and 2 sons and females were the mother and 2 doughters with age difference. I dont know if any of that matters...

Since the father died from poisoning a couple of months ago ± one of them became very agresive against his brother leading to deadly fights i suppose it has something to do with the pack leadership...

Now to avoid the fights from happening we let them go out one at a time (we have a lot of space). While they are in the house they do not fight but there is a lot of growling witch is very annoying especially when its loud.

So my question is what can i do to restore peace between them? and calling a trainer is not an option because there is no one nearby and it would cost a lot of money to get someone here or get the dogs there and pay for his/hers servises.

Thank you in advance and sorry for any mispells or if my wrighting is incomprehensive, english is not my native language.

Asked by Member 1212185 on Feb 20th 2014 Tagged deadly, fights, pack, leadership in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Pineapple Smushface

You definitely have a problem here. Dad was probably the alpha and kept everyone in line. The brother has taken over this leadership role, although it does not seem like his forte. You have to assert YOURSELF as the dominant member. Discipline the fierce dog when he displays any behaviors that you do not want to become permanent. Allowing his behavior to become habit reinforces negativity and will cause all of you undue stress. Also make sure that he gets plenty of exercise outside so that he is tired when he returns to your home. Doggie time out is an option. The Monks of Skete have written wonderful training books about this breed... check them out! ^_^

Pineapple Smushface answered on 3/10/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer