Could my puppy overwork himself?

I have a 10 months old bull lurcher cross who is fit and regularly exercised. The other day he ran off to chase a rabbit and he sprinted around 800 m in total. When he got back obviously he was knackered, heavily panted and lay down. My question is could this affect his health in any way? He had never chased so long distance before and I am really worried as he seems to not be the same ever since; not that keen to play fetch and get tired quicker.

Asked by Member 1109469 on May 6th 2012 Tagged lurcher, chase in Exercise

Answers

linda

800 meters is not that much but don't let him do all the time there bones are not developed and he can risk permanent damage.

linda answered on 5/6/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I don't know where you live, but as the days get warmer, heat stress is more likely with dogs. That could explain why he's not so energetic lately (because it's getting warm.) Dogs don't sweat and are not very good at preventing themselves from overheating. Heat stress can look just like he's being tired or lazy, when really he's hot.

The other possibility is that he pulled a muscle or sprained something in the tight turns while chasing the bunny. He'll probably want to take it a little easier until it heals.

If he seems noticeably "off" and not himself for an extended period of time, or if he gets worse, I recommend a vet visit.

Tyler

I agree with Bruno.

I'm assuming you're from the UK? With the hot weather we've got at the moment take particular care that your dog doesn't over exert himself and that you aways have fresh water to hand.

Lurchers were built to sprint in short bursts and i'm sure he's fine. Hopefully he's fully recovered now?

Tyler answered on 5/25/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer