Could a border collie stay outside?

I may adopt a BC and I am 10, Homeschooled, and if I adopted him,(I already have all exersice taken care of) he would have to live outside (we have 19 acres). I would spend all my free time and take all my school work outside to be with him. I would be a 1st time dog owner. I am very entergetic, have had PLENTY of experience with dogs of all breeds so, Would this work?

Asked by Member 905900 on May 1st 2010 in Choosing the Right Pet

Answers

Zack

It might, but there are several other factors to be considered. How much "free time" do you have? Is part of your property fenced? What is the weather like where you live? Does the rest of your family want this dog? How old is the BC? How much energy and drive does the dog have? Does the place you're adopting from allow "outside only" pets? Where will the dog be at night? Who will pay for the dog's expenses?

I suggest you head on over to the "Forums" section and post in the "Choosing the Right Dog" forum. Then people can get more information from you, and you can write back.

Good Luck!

Zack answered on 5/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Daisy

Yes one could with the proper shelter. The barn I used to board my old horse at the old owner had a border collie. He was so awesome. Was the barn dog and had free range of the barn. He lived outside. But the barn was there for proper shelter against the cold and rain and snow. So that has to be factored in. He loved it but he also got lots of attention. There was always someone there to see their horse and well you couldnt ignore the dog either :D But BC'S are great farm dogs.

Daisy answered on 5/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Brutus

I highly suggest that you don't leave him outside. Many things could happen. He could get stolen, eat something bad, get overheated/too cold. There are endless reasons that you should probably not leave the little fella outdoors.

Brutus answered on 5/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Let me guess, you mom doesn't want dog fur all over the house? *rolling eyes*

I suggest you wait till you're older and get a dog after you move out. I seriously don't think outside dogs are capable of being truly happy in life due to their need to be with the pack. I've seen dogs in dog runs pacing back and forth like they've gone mad and it saddens me. I think outside dogs are ok in situations where dogs are the person's career and they spend nearly everyday outside with them! But I was reading that a lot of husky breeders still let their 8 or so husky dogs in their house and on their couch! It's so important especially to that breed.

Also, BC's are way too needy for a 10 year old boy. They can be very difficult dogs due to their high intelligence.

Get a short coat dog instead and let the poor thing in!

i hav a border collie they are great dogs... he also stays outside... but they need a ton of excersise and grooming. you don't keep them happy they will go crazy. they are buetiful loving dogs that want to please u, so if u have the time to run him, get one!

I do not recommend leaving a dog outside of any kind. Dogs aren't meant to stay outside 24/7. Dogs are family too and they need to be able to come inside and spend time with the family inside too.

Border Collies are active dogs. They need a job. They are herding dogs so they may herd small animals and kids. They are used in many different activities/jobs including agility, sheepdog trials, flyball, disc dog, obedience and herding.

Border Collies need a lot socialization and training. They are highly intelligent which makes them easy to train and socialize.

Check out these sites for more information about Border Collies - www.dogbreedinfo.com
www.k9web.com (click on "Breeds" on the left side and click on the Border Collie)

I do recommend you to really educate yourself on Border Collies and what it takes to own one and to educate yourself about them. I also recommend you to research and educate yourself on other breeds that you are also interested in to see if they would be a better match for you.