Jessie

Constipation due to dog food?

This morning I caught my 8 month old puppy squatting on the floor trying to poop. Before I stopped her, I realized that nothing was coming out. I took her outside and she didn't walk around the house to her usual spot. She squatted right outside the door and tried to go again and she just couldn't. When I brought her back in, she started scooting her butt on the floor. I picked her up, and she had some hanging from her butt, but it wouldn't come out. She finally went later in the morning.
A few minutes ago, she acted like she had to go again. We went outside and as she started to go, she started jumping and spinning. Is it possible that she's in pain when she goes? I found something that looks like a string in her feces. I just started her on a new food two days ago. Blue for small breed puppies. It's the chicken and rice kind.

Asked by Jessie on Dec 9th 2012 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

I would get her checked by a vet. It could something as simple as constipation. If so, they can give her something for it. They can also make sure it's not something more serious like a blockage or a bad case of worms. Good Luck!

Pip

How quickly did you switch her food? I'd also take her to the vet (that "string" may be a worm), but in the meantime, a tsp of canned pumpkin 1-2 times/day can help with the constipation.

Pip answered on 12/9/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer