Bruiser

Confusing Pooch Accidents

I know there were a few accident related post's but I wanted to make a specific one for Bruiser. He's an 8 year old Shih Tzu Poodle and usually very well behaved.
Aside from the expected accidents when I doesn't get home in time (which I take full responsibility for) he's usually accident free.
For the first time in a very long time Bru peed on my bed while I wasn't home. :(
So I cleaned the bedding, and just decided that sometimes these things happen. But tonight Bru and I were just relaxing in my room, getting ready for bed when without warning he stood up and started to pee.
I didn't know what to do and by the look on his face he didn't know what to do either. (It wasn't the usual full leg up kind of pee either, he barely lifted his leg at all!)
We went outside afterwards, where Bruiser peed again, and got lots of praise.
What I'm wondering/worrying about is what could cause him to pee inside with no warning?
Thanks for any advice or thoughts!
-Bruiser's mom.

Asked by Bruiser on Nov 17th 2012 Tagged accidents, indoors, pee, unusual, adult in Behavior & Training

Answers

Same answer as the other posts... when an older, housebroken dog begins urinating inside and/or in not normal spots the first thing to do is have a veterinary exam INCLUDING a urinalysis. Most often the dog has a UTI and needs antibiotics to cure it, or there is some other medical reason which needs veterinary attention.

Leo

Not knowing your dog, it's impossible to say if it's a training problem or a physical issue.

As cliched advice as it is, he should probably see a vet if this is a new development. He may have a mild UTI (which, if you've ever had, you can sympathize with just going when you need to!) or something else.

If there's been a major change in your/his life or home, he may be acting out by urinating on your bed, either because he's feeling territorial, insecure, etc. If he's the type, he may be trying to show his dominance by peeing in the place that smells the most like you. It's also possible that he had a genuine accident on your bed the first time and can still smell the urine, which will prompt many dogs to pee in that spot again (it's an instinct).

Basically, with the given information, it's going to be impossible for anyone to tell you for sure, but for new behaviors like that it's always best to have a vet check him out before you start aggressively punishing the behavior.

Leo answered on 11/17/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer