College student considering a pet?

Hi. I've been considering getting a dog(I'm actually in love with the idea of a Siberian Husky but am open to getting a Labrador) in college for a few months now.. I'll be an Undergrad Sophomore when I'll be ready to adopt.
I know I'm going to have to be dedicated, loving, and have the financial stability for one, but my biggest concern would be when I bring it back to my parents' home for break. My parents are currently taking care of my cat, and if I were to get a Siberian my greatest concern would be it not being able to co-exist for times when I go home. My cat is my baby and if anything happened to it I'd die. :|
So my question is, how can I go about training a Siberian and make sure before I go home that my cat will be safe? Any advice would be great as with tending for it etc... I know I may be young to have a dog on my own but I grew up in an animal hospital since my grandfather runs a practice and feel like having a dog to stimulate me physically and mentally will be healthy

Asked by Member 1141322 on Nov 18th 2012 Tagged siberianhusky, cats, training, college in Methods of Training

Answers

Mika

Sibes need lots of attention and exercise, very high energy dogs, who really enjoy getting out doors and running. Read up online for more info on the breed. As far as cats go, i have 2 cats and my Husky gets along well with them, however my home was not her fist home she had to share with a cat. You may want to adopt a Husky who has had cat experience or if you get a puppy, then there should be no worries because you will raise her from a young age to know your cat. Just because a Husky is a Husky doesn't mean they dont get along with cats though, some dogs do and some dogs dont, not just Huskies. It may be a different story if you brought a new cat home to you already owned Husky but thats not the case. If you do get one, you need to be very cautious at first, dont leave them alone together, take baby steps if you can and let them get to know each other at a slow pace, hope this helped
Good Luck!! :)

Mika answered on 11/19/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

To be honest, I'm not sure a Sibe would be the best breed for an active college student. Mine demands a great deal of attention and exercise, and I wouldn't have been able to provide that when I was in college. Huskies DO have a high prey drive, but many are great when highly socialized with cats, and mine coexists with my cat without problem. The next question is about the cat, which you love but have asked your parents to care for. Unless you own a home, you may have difficulty finding rental housing that accepts pets. What happens if you find that you are unable to find housing or adequate time for training and caring for this dog? Will it end up staying with your parents, as well? If you must get another animal, you might consider an adult dog of a non-working breed, which will be more independent and require less training.

Thanks for the great feedback! I've done a lot of research for awhile on it, actually. (I clearly have a bit too much free time on my hands)
Currently I live on campus, which is the reason I couldn't bring my own animal up in the first place. :)
I actually signed a lease with a pet friendly environment over a month ago and shall be living there for at least a year. Luckily, there are a lot of pet friendly housing areas in my town so if I had to move finding one wouldn't be a problem. Also, there are a large number of places for running and outdoor activities. I feel as if time won't be a problem since I'm not a go-out kind of person anyways.
However, if I were to get this breed I guess the most I could do is what you both have told me and socialize the two! I'll try my best IF the time comes! I'll also be open to other dog options. :) Thanks so much!