NALA

colic 2 and a half week old pups....

HI everyone, i was wondering if any knows what to do when you have colic new born pups? my new borns are 2 and a half weeks old... they are bottle fed, as the mom does not nurse them enough so they do get hungry!.... and they do have slight constipation...

anyway they last 2 nights have been a nightmare , all they do is cry... does anyone know what i can give these babies in order make them sleep.... and not cry! and PLEASE DONT SAY TAKE THEM TO A VET... because that's the obvious answer...

Asked by NALA on Feb 13th 2008 in Puppies

Best Answer

Taking them to the vet is the obvious answer because it is the only right answer in your situations. These babies need to see the vet as soon as possible.

What do you mean by "they have slight constipation"? Is mom not licking them to get them to go, or are they just not going potty even when she stimulates them?

And young pups cry. A lot. That's what they do. If you don't want to hear them cry, then you shouldn't have bred your dog. I think you would be doing every creature in your house a favor if you took the mom and puppies and surrendered them to the SPCA because you obviously should not be owning, and definitely should not be breeding dogs!

Abby answered on Feb 13th.

Answers

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you

You could give the babies a TRIP TO THE VET!!!I know it's not what you want to hear but come on now,the best thing for those pups is to go straigh tot the vet with the mom in tow! If you wait to long you are going to end up losing them. So GO TO TH VET

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you answered on 2/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bear and Bambi - Mommys Angels

O.k....Your Momma dog needs to be on a good quality puppy food, if she has not been on this you will need to mix it with her regular food for a few days so her system can adapt to it. As for the pups...KMR formula is what you need, you can only purchase this at a vets office, it is usually only a few bucks more than the other stuff. Every 5th feeding needs to be water ( not cold) this will help with the constipation. This formula is more filling than the other kind, and they should begin sleeping better. Are you stimulating then with warm rag after their feedings? This will trigger their need to potty. You will need to continue stimulation until they have pottied. Feel free to pawmail me if you need more help!

Bear and Bambi - Mommys Angels answered on 2/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lacey Luv

The babies have colic because you are bottle feeding. They need to be encouraged to nurse on thier mom. Puppies will nurse constantly on the dam, only ingesting small amounts at a time since thier stomachs are very small. I seen the puppies on Nala's page and they are very "plump" you are overfeeding them. If the mother will not nurse them, you need to reduce the amount at each feeding, switch to a Playtex nurser with a preemie nipple, and the puppies do need to be seen by a vet especially if the mom will not nurse. Nala's age is playing a very big part in the lack of nursing. She is too young to be a mom and she should also be seen by a vet. You didn't say whether you bred the dogs or if it was accidental, but you should not let them breed again until Nala is older and can be screened for hereditary disorders. Good luck

Lacey Luv answered on 2/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

♥Juneau♥

Dude...Nala is only 10 months old. Not trying to be rude or anything but...why are you breeding her?

♥Juneau♥ answered on 2/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Miley

What are you bottle feeding them? If it's milk that you get from a grocery store, there's your problem. Milk isn't good for puppies just like it isn't good for babies. If you are feeding them a milk supplement that's for puppies then I don't really have a clue. I've never seen puppies with colic, but then again I've never seen bottle fed puppies. Are you deworming them? Some deworming medicine says to start at 2 wks of age. Maybe they are more sick than you think...

Miley answered on 2/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer