Chocolate labs vs. other labs

In terms of training as a service dog or ones used for the handicapped, I never see chocolate labs shown
as being in this category. Are chocolate labs more difficult to train since yellows, black and golden retrievers seem to dominate the service dog arena.
Does the color of the lab have any significance for proper training? Thanks for your help!

Asked by Member 592551 on Feb 22nd 2008 in Behavior & Training

Best Answer

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you

Well one would think that a Lab is a Lab is a Lab,but I trained bird dogs for many many years,competeing in field trails all over. The blacks are more desirable as they were the original color.Once they started washing out the blacks to get other colors the problems started as with any breed.Don't get me wrong I enjoy working with any dog,but the difference in working with the 3 different colors was very obvious to me.The blacks being the easiest to work with then the yellow and then the chocolates.I did have some very trainable chocolates that went very far in their titles.But if you work with the breed every day then you can certainly notice the difference.
Most people think that when you breed two yellow you only get yellows or when you breed 2 blacks you get blacks,not true.It depends on the dogs history.when the kennel I worked with for field trails would breed(very rare)there were black pups in litters of 2 yellows,chocolates in litters from 2 blacks it just really depends...

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you answered on Feb 22nd.

Answers

No, maybe people just prefer other colors for that kind of work. I have seen chocolate Lab therapy dogs.

Dagwood

As you know the coat comes in three colors: chocolate, black, and yellow. Black was the favorite color among early breeders, but over the years, yellow and chocolate Labs have become popular. Some breeders have recently begun selling "rare" colored Labrador Retrievers, such as polar white or fox red. These shades aren't really rare--they're a variation of the yellow Lab. The color does not have any significance for training.
dogtime.com

Dagwood answered on 2/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

While I don't think there is a huge personality difference in labs of different colors, I do think that the reason you see less chocolate labs as service dogs can probably be attributed to just how few of them there are compared to yellow and black labs.

Yes, we all see chocolate labs all the time out in the "wild" but when you think about it, yellow and black lab sightings are much more common than chocolate.

There's some stereotypes about chocolate labs being the "craziest" or most hyper of the different types of lab. But, frankly, labs can be hyper or mellow, regardless of coloring.

Labrador Retrievers account for about 60% of all service dogs in the United States. Out of those, the most common color seen is yellow

The color of the dog has nothing to do with the training or trainability. It's just a different color.

I think the reason that yellow is so highly represented is the organizations' breeding programs more than anything else. When you breed two yellows, you will only ever get yellow puppies. When you breed yellow and black, you can get a variety of colors, including chocolate.

There are organizations training chocolate labs as service dogs, too, for example National Service Dogs of Canada - www.nsd.on.ca