Chocolate Lab Puppy 1 yr 95 lbs ate a sock??? what do we do now? he seems fine so far but am very worried it wont pass

Asked by Member 981640 on Apr 15th 2010 in Other Health & Wellness

Best Answer

I would keep an eye on him. If he vomits or has diarrhea or constipation, call the vet. The Golden I had last year ate a heavy wool sock a couple of times and I never knew it until I was cleaning up the yard. Other dogs have died from eating socks.

Whatever you do, don't give him pumpkin or anything else to ''push'' it out. His body is already doing all that is safe. Adding urgency could cause a bigger problem. Just because some people have gotten away with it doesn't mean it is safe.

Aster answered on Apr 15th.

Answers

Isy

Call your vet! You want to get that sock out of his tummy before it enters his gut! Dogster says you asked this about 4 hrs ago so it might be too late. This is usually recommended to do within the first 30 mins or so. Hydrogen peroxide induces vomiting. If you give him some a Tblsp at a time for large dogs and a tsp at a time for small dogs, waiting about 5 mins inbetween, they will start to retch and throw up whatever is in their tummy. If the sock doesn't come up the first time, give a 2nd dose to completely empty they tummy. If still no sock, call the vet, it's already in his gut and will likely need surgery. A $2 bottle of peroxide is a whole lot cheaper then a $1200+ impaction surgery!! Hope he's ok!!

Isy answered on 4/15/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

They have vomit inducing drugs at the vet that are safer than hydrogen peroxide. I'd not give this to a dog to induce vomiting. If this sock has caused any problem at all the peroxide can make the dog very sick or cause internal bleeding if any damage has been done to the esophagus while swallowing the sock. It can also foam up quite severely causing FURTHER blockage.

But I would definitely take him to the vet immediately if you've not done so yet. If this goes any further than his actual stomach, he is at risk for it strangling his intestines and dying.

Dogs have a very hard time passing objects like socks, especially if they are adult sized socks and if they are swallowed whole. You will likely need medical intervention anyway, so the quicker you take him in the greater his chances of a smooth, complete recovery.

Good luck, hopefully you can come back and let us know how he's doing.

keep digging through his poop. If it doesn't pass in say 24 hrs you need to take him to the vet.
if it balls up and gets stuck this can be life threatening. good luck.