chinese crested and miniature daschund mixes!

i have hairless mixes of chinese crested and miniature daschunds and was wondering if they might be of value. the daschund is akc registered, pure breed. But the chinese crested is not. If so, how might i proceed to get these puppies to a loving family?

Asked by Member 1066547 on Oct 26th 2011 in Mixed Breeds

Answers

Value as family members, definitely. But market value, not so much for a mixed breed.
Purebreds will have some amount of market value, more if they are good show/performance/working dogs. (AKC registered doesn't really mean much, people just think it does.) How much for just a pet, which is what most people want, I'm not sure. I cannot name any prices or anything, so I'm afraid I can't be of much help there.

One way to find homes for them is to place advertisements in the paper and screen homes as best as you can. That's the main option I'm aware of.

They would be worth what someone would be willing to pay for any mutt. Having a purebred sire does not negate the fact that the pupps are mixed breed. If this was an accidental litter I hope you have made appointments for both pets to be altered. If you bred them on purpose I hope you will consider the same option as shelters are teeming with cute puppies that no one wants.

Well, I own two Chinese cresteds and both have MAJOR genetic diseases which are very expensive to treat monthly. So far they have both required $1000 surgeries, and one needed another $1500 surgery, and they are still under two years of age.
These dogs came from honest, respected breeders who did ALL genetic testing prior to breeding them, and fortunately for me, gladly refunded my purchase price when these health issues came up.
I am sure there are plenty of dachshund owners on here with genetic problems with their dachshunds as well, things like spine issues, skin problems, etc, that cost way more than the initial purchase price to treat constantly.
I certainly cannot imagine breeding two breeds like this together and the health issues that can arise from doing so. It can be a very expensive, heartbreaking, disaster waiting to happen.
And, I do not know of ANY responsible, respected breeder who would ever knowingly undertake a mixed breeding like this, which means the parents of these pups most likely have NEVER had even the basic genetic testing done prior to the breeding. Most people who breed mixed breeds like this do not have ANY health and/or genetic testing done prior to breeding. They are merely looking to make a quick buck, and when the dog is out the door it is no longer any concern of theirs.
Sooo, what is their value??? No more or no less than any other mixed breed dog, adopted from a rescue or shelter.
I own both purebred show dogs AND rescues. Not one of them has any greater value than the rest. They are all equally valuable in my eyes.

Seth

Just because one dog is registered, it does not make the puppies worth more money when you breed it with another breed. If you were to breed to another registered dog of the same breed, you may be able to get a bit more for the puppies. If you are going to breed, you should learn more about being a responsible breeder that includes vet checks for the puppies, and also being willing to take the puppies back if they do not work out with the people that buy them. Breeding should only be done by people willing to make the breed better, never should it be done to make money. This to me is a sign of a back yard breeder.

Seth answered on 10/28/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer