Chico Hernandez

Chihuahua and Pit Bull living under the same household?

I have a small 4lb male 2-year-old Chihuahua, and someone wants to give us a Pit Bull puppy. Well, my Chi is not really friendly with other dogs and will not tolerate other dogs behaviors. Sometimes he growls at other dogs on walks. He runs up on other dogs, but just to sniff them, but when fenced, he barks. I need to know which puppy to choose from the litter. I know not to choose the dominant one, or the shy one. Would another male, or a female be better? I just don't want my Chi to get killed when they get older. Can the mix Pitt live peacefully whith the small Chi? How would I seperate then when I'm gone? A full grown pit could easily jump a baby gate... At what age should I start to seperate them when I'm not around? I plan on giving affection and loving them both equally. We will also be moving to a farm where we will be raising Goats and Chickens, and possibly keep 2 Great Pyrenees as guard dogs. Thanks.

Asked by Chico Hernandez on Aug 7th 2012 Tagged chihuahua, pitbull, violence, dogaggression in Aggression

Answers

If your Chi is not dog friendly, then I would Not get another dog, even if it's free. That is a mix for trouble.

Totally agree! You have a dog-aggressive dog, and you want to bring in another dog? Recipe for disaster. Work on the chi's aggression before you bring another dog into the mix. It is not fair to either dog..& one or both could be seriously injured.

I agree with the other posters. Do NOT get another dog if your current dog doesn't like other dogs, even if it is free. It is not fair to either dog and like the others said it will be a disaster.

Maggie Mae

At 2 your Chi still has quite a capacity to learn how to be with other dogs. After all it's natural. Notice next time how happy dogs that get along are. Just take a walk next to your local dog park (watch out for irresponsible owners). All you have to do is teach the puppy to be gentle. Don't allow him to approach your chi at all. Let your Chi come to it. see a good example of what teaching a big dog to be gentle can accomplish here. www.youtube.com Pits need rules so make sure you and your family take leadership positions and establish rules from the start. (i.e. train them early so jumping over a baby gate isn't an issue) Separate them while your gone from the start until your pup earns the house by examples of good behavior just like a child. Male or female doesn't matter, but I would go with female only because when she gets older she will want to nurture and you will see lots of cuddles. I'm a little confused with the Pyrenees. Why?

Maggie Mae answered on 8/7/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

you won't receive adequate responses online about reading the nuances of puppy personality, since anyway it appears the person who is 'giving' away pittie puppies probably isn't the most responsible breeder able to accurately predict.

If you aren't prepared to manage the worst circumstances of and constantly supervise having a very tiny & a medium sized rambunctious puppy, which can result in injury or death, then don't get another puppy. it doesn't matter how many rules you give the pittie or how nurturing females are supposed to be.