Chihuahua Agility

I am planning to train my chi agility.
Are there any warnings or tips about agility with chis?
I have been reading stuff online and watching videos on it.

Thanks,
Katherine and Isis

Asked by Member 904342 on Oct 24th 2009 Tagged training, agility, chihuahua, purebred in Agility & Sports

Answers

Zackintosh CJ

First of all, don't do any hard agility stuff or jumps until your dog is at least a year old. Second, get your Chi a full vet check to make sure he/she is healthy and strong enough for it. Third, condition the dog first. Get her fit and active if she isn't already. You should also contact a good, positive trainer, or at least talk to knowledgeable agility people before starting. You can't learn everything online or from videos. You could even get a book about it, though I still recommend a trainer.
As for warnings, I'd say be especially careful she doesn't jump to high or jump off something (A-frame, pause table, etc) to far from the ground, since Chi's are so small. Generally, just use common sense.
If you weren't planning to attend a training class, you can build most of the equipment yourself, which can easily be found by Googleing it, its cheaper to build it yourself since the buying equipment pre-made can get pretty expensive.
Good luck with your Chi!

Zackintosh CJ answered on 10/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jersey

Chihuahua agility is different from other dog agility, You have to set the obstacle's to the Chihuahua's standards but still, they will do jumps and all the other stuff.

Jersey answered on 8/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Zoey

I have a Chihuahua mix and we do agility. Its super fun! make sure you look at venues (AKC, CPE, and so on) I'm in CPE and there is no special equipment for them, they do all the stuff the big guys do(like climbing a 9ft A-frame!) get your pup in shape, walk every day, and jog every other day (take is slow at first, remember they take 4 steps for every 1 we take) and use A LOT of treats when showing him/her the obstacles.. and as to taking class/finding a trainer, vs using the internet. I just like to say I've gone far in agility and have not taken 1 agility class(or used a agility trainer) I just learn stuff online, in fact I now TEACH agility classes..now that being said, I HIGHLY recommend using a trainer, plus you will save alot of time, and espachly with a small dog the chance for serious injury is high when they are not being trained right the 1st time. I did it (not using a trainer) because I known how to train dogs (mine known well over 30 tricks by then) so just use a trainer.

Zoey answered on 5/24/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer