Macie

Chicken and Rice for upset stomach?

My vet suggested feeding my 10 week old puppy boiled chicken and rice for her upset stomach. She weighs almost 6 pounds. My question is, how much of each should I feed her...is there a certain recipe to follow?

Asked by Macie on Aug 26th 2008 in Homemade Food

Best Answer

The easiest way to make chicken and rice is if you own a microwave rice cooker. You can buy those from any WalMart for about $5 to $10.

With the microwave rice cooker, just put the rice into the cooker, add some water - or chicken broth - and pop it into the microwave for about 10 minutes. (You may need to try some different configurations with more or less water to get the desired softness in the rice.)

Make the chicken separately. Boneless chicken breast works great. Boil it without any kind of spices on the stove, then cut it up and mix it in with the rice. It should take you about as long to make the chicken as it takes for the rice, if you start with thawed chicken. (You can make a bunch and put it into the fridge, too.)

Feed approximately the same amount as you do of your dog food, more rice than chicken. You can also add in some plain, canned pumpkin. Dogs like the test and it helps settle tummies. It's usually in the pie aisle next to the pumpkin pie mix.

Abby answered on Aug 26th.

Answers

♥Tiffy♥

My suggestion would be to cook the rice and the chicken together as a broth or soup type of thing. Feed her as much as you would her regular dog food, especially if this will be her temporary food until her tummy gets better. The chicken and rice works, I have used it for my Tiffy.

♥Tiffy♥ answered on 8/26/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Daisy Allison

Macie is so cute! Cooking the chicken and rice together with broth is tasty and also gets some extra fluid in your puppy. I cook the rice in twice as much water as directed and add diced chicken when the rice has 10 min left. I make 1/2 cup rice with one package of chix breast. Daisy is 10 lbs and she has 1/8 cup 3 times a day. The canned pumpkin is a great idea but not if Macie has diaharea. it will make her poop more. If you want to help with constipation give pumpkin.

Daisy Allison answered on 8/26/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

i just got done doing this for my dog...gave her 1/2 cup in am and 1/2 cup in pm....for about 3 days and then she was better. Just boil plain chicken, no seasonings and I steamed the rice. Worked like a charm.