Debo

Can't decide if my dog is pitbull?

I adopted my dog about 7 months ago. The woman told me he was a boxer/bullmastiff mix. Everywhere we go we get pitbulll! He is the sweetest dog, and even the vet yesterday said he was probably 98% pit. This was the first vet to say this, as his other papers say boxer mix. Any ideas on what he might be? He's about 2 and 70 llbs if that helps...
He looks a lil different in all the pics, so check them all out!! Thanks!
i55.tinypic.com
i55.tinypic.com
i56.tinypic.com
i56.tinypic.com
i51.tinypic.com

Asked by Debo on Jun 4th 2011 in Breeds

Answers

Woofie  1988 - 2001

How much does he weigh? About 40-45 pounds?

Bull Mastiffs are 90-130 pounds, Boxer 55-70 pounds. No way a BM and Boxer mix is that small and that slim. He'd be 100 pounds and sturdy like a Mack truck.

Saying 98% was silly. Pits are not "pure breeds", but an engineered dog, created to be strong yet agile for fighting. He is 100 % Pit Bull, but he may , genetically, be 50 % Staffordshire Bull Terrier, 10% Boxer, etc, etc.

DON"T CHANGE THE PAPERWORK. Insurance companies and Landlord get weird about Pits. I left Woofie as a Lab/terrier mix.

Woofie 1988 - 2001 answered on 6/4/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

"Pits are not "pure breeds", but an engineered dog, created to be strong yet agile for fighting. He is 100 % Pit Bull, but he may , genetically, be 50 % Staffordshire Bull Terrier, 10% Boxer, etc, etc."

...Huh?? This makes no sense. "Pit bull" is a term which refers to a TYPE of dog, which generally encompasses three (PURE) breeds -- the American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, and the Staffordshire Bull Terrier. These are all purebred dogs that fall under the type commonly referred to as "pit bull". If a dog is mixed with a boxer or whatever, that makes them a Pit Bull Mix. I just wanted to clear that up.

From the photos, the dog has some features of the APBT, but it's hard to tell if the dog is a purebred APBT or not, I see a little Boxer in there. The dog does not really look large enough or built in such a way to suggest Bullmastiff, so I do agree with the previous answer for that. Nothing wrong with a good pittie. But I'd just leave his vet papers alone.

He is beautiful!!! Looks a little like my Tigger. I can see pitbull in his face a little. Looks like he has what I call the pittie smile. Tigs is part pitt. some people see it and some don't. I wouldn't list pitbull on paperwork because uneducated people freak out.

Honestly most people don't tell you the truth about what a dog is anyway if they are trying to get rid of it. And most people can't identify a pitbull anyway. They call any bully breed a pitt. I recently read an article about how many dogs are put down in shelters because the workers thought they were pitbulls and wouldn't get adopted. In most cases they were wrong.

All that matters is you love your dog anyway no matter what he is. And from you pics it seems to quite happy.

He does look like an APBT. Probably primarily APBT.
Sometimes shelters and such will tell a little lie by telling you that a Pit Bull or Pit Bull mix is a Boxer or something similar. They do this because some people who can provide good homes for the dog may not adopt him if they think he's a Pit Bull. They may also do this in areas where Pit Bulls have been (unjustly) outlawed.
So maybe if the lady got him from a shelter or something they told her that he's a Boxer/Bull Mastiff, or she figured that herself.

In any case, adorable dog! ^^

Cody

He looks like Cody - they could be brothers, BOL. We have no idea what breeds Cody is either - the shelter said he was a boxer/pit bull mix, but I am not sure that is true. I have often wondered if Cody doesn't have some type of retriever or hound in him as well. Cody acts more like a hound than either of the breeds the shelter guessed. But he's blocky and has a giant head, and there is no BSL here, so we left it as "pit bull mix" on the paperwork. If Cody was bigger, I would have guessed mastiff/hound mix - but he only weighs about 65 lbs.

Unless pitties are banned in your area, or you have other reasons you do not want people to call your dog a pit bull, I wouldn't worry about it.

Cody answered on 6/4/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

situation, people are afraid to even mention "pit", knowing a lot of different breeds,I happen to have a friend who rescues pits, currently she has 4, only one is phyco (came from abusive background) met a few labs also that were not nice.. I just adopted a lab mix who does have pit in her. people judge because they are not educated, the mix breeds are the best regardless of the combo. It all comes down to the love and compassion we give them. give positive get positive in return.

Baylee

He definitely does look to have some pit in him. I have two pit mixes and you can see it in the forhead and as someone else said in the pittie smile :) My dog Bella we were told was lab/shepherd and as she grew we could tell she was a pit/lab mix. Like you the vet never acknowledged that she had pit in her until he thought she had mange (which is common among pit puppies). In my opinion I would not get his papers changed to say pit just for the sake that pits are limited in so many ways. They are a great breed of dog! I will have pit mixes for the rest of my life!

Baylee answered on 6/6/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer