Can my dog take Imodium for humans?

I'd like to know if I can give my 58lb. dog a dose of human Imodium to stop diarrhea?

Asked by Member 679548 on Aug 8th 2008 Tagged femalepitbulwithdiarrhea in Other Food & Nutrition

Answers

While Immodium *can* be used in dogs, it is almost never a good choice because it will leave your dog extremely constipated and uncomfortable.

A better approach to treating diarrhea in dogs is to use Pepto Bismol and fasting your dog for 24 hours, then returning to a normal diet, or a "sensitive tummy" temporary diet of rice with pumpkin and cooked (but unseasoned) chicken or beef.

Jake

Ok, until I knew about my dog's food allergies we dealt a TON with diarrhea. First thing stop food and limit water. You need to get his stomach to settle down. Then do the rice (MUST be white rice - brown will start the runs again) and boiled beef (ground) or chicken. MIx it 1 part meat 2 parts rice in small portions and don't let them over eat. You can give your dog a tagament - at lest that is what my vet said - after they have that first feeding just to help settle any acid that may stir up uncomfortableness...I wouldn't recomend the imodium just because of what the other person said.

Good luck - try to find the source of the rhea...

Jake answered on 8/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

TK, CGC

You can give .1mg per pound of immodium 2 to 3 times in a day for diarrhea. Obviously if the diarrhea does not stop in a day or so you should take your dog to the vet.

If you give Pepto Bismol do not be alarmed if your dog's poop turns black. Also, if you take your dog to the vet after you've given the Pepto let them know, because bloody stools are also black in color.

Here is a website with more detailed information regarding use of immodium in dogs: www.peteducation.com

TK, CGC answered on 8/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Malachai

I had some diarrhea and my doc told me to take one pepto every 6-8 hours.

Malachai answered on 8/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I've had diarrhea twice in the first 7 weeks with my parents (I'm 16 1/2 weeks old now). My father gave me white rice until the diarrhea cleared up. However, I'm on pumpkin with my food now (1 tbls. twice a day, real pumpkin, NOT pie filling) & my diarrhea is under control. Pepto Bismol cam also be given.

lucky

Idk about the Imodium but my dog, lucky, eats cheese to help her tummy. She is 14 and I have always done that. Y is it making me post as a the dog? Dogs dot type.

lucky answered on 8/31/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer