Can you shampoo a two month old golden retriever?

recently when the vet came over to give our dog vaccinations, he told us not to bathe her. I don't believe it, but is it true?

Asked by Member 1069978 on Nov 11th 2011 in Grooming

Answers

Amazing Grace

I'd ask the vet to please explain the reason as to why you should not bathe the dog. But until then use a self rinse shampoo that get's the dog clean without having to bathe. I use a product called Show Off. You spray it on the dog, wipe down with a damp cloth and then towel dry. This process cleans and removes outdoor odors that can travel into your home. Biogroom has a self rinse product too.

Amazing Grace answered on 11/11/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I am wondering why you would want to bathe her at all at this age? How dirty could she possibly be? Too much bathing can strip the natural oils in the skin/fur & lead to a dull coat, itchy flaky skin, & product sensitivity.
You could use this time to get her used to the tub & being handled there. You could get doggie wipes for those "will nots" but honestly, IMO people bathe their dogs way too much. Daily grooming/brushing should suffice for a goldie.

I don't know why you wouldn't want to bath her... maybe not with flea shampoo, it's too toxic for young pups, but a gentle shampoo shouldn't hurt. And of course don't use cold water or put her outside afterward, it's chilly and pups don't have much protection from hypothermia.

In my opinion at least, pups definitely SHOULD be bathed to get them used to the process while they're still open to new experience and small enough to pick up easily. Same for nail trimming, ear cleaning, tooth brushing, etc. The pup might not NEED these things done yet, but it's easiest to train them young.