Can you put your dog to sleep legally and with what?

Asked by Member 920256 on Nov 21st 2009 Tagged mydobermanisdyingandsuffering in Animal Welfare

Answers

It would depend on where you live, and I know little of euthanasia laws to begin with.
I recommend that you can take him to the vet and have him euthanize him. That way he'll tell you if puting the dog down is unnecessary after all, and you'll be doing it legally. Kill two birds with one stone. At the very least you can call the vet up.

Sadie

I'm not sure, I would take him to the vet so they can euthanize him though..

Sadie answered on 11/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I would think as long as it is done humanely, it would be OK. In the past, it was common to shot old dogs. It was also more common to have guns. I am not sure what else would work.

It would seem as though if your Dobe is already in pain and suffering the least you can do is take him to a vet for a humane euthaniza. If it were legal in your state to do it yourself, (which you would have to find out), how do you know you are not going to cause more pain and suffering by using something that will not result in an instant death and an end to his pain and suffering??? Not a chance I would take with my beloved pet!!!! Veterinarians use approved solutions which are a combination of ingredients to first render the animal unconscious, then stop the heart and respiration. These are prescription drugs, not available to just anyone, and you must be federally licensed and trained to use them.

K-10 Von Canein

My agreement is with Toto! I would never trust someone who can't spell shoot.

K-10 Von Canein answered on 11/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

consult with your vet. Some shelters will do it for a reason. That would be a dog that is dangerous or a dog that is terminally ill.
Check those two resources.
sorry to hear this.

Go to your vet. Have them do it. It's the only painless, humane way to have your dog euthanized- and no, you cannot obtain the drug yourself.

Starbutt

M... Well there are a few ways you can do this, there is rat poison, which you have to read the package it causes instead death and causes inturnal bleeding which doesn't sound fun to me and no I wouldn't do this to my pet. Then you could rig up a divice so that the car fumes would gas your animal like the animal shelter does around here and I would say most do in the USA does and this is not so much fun sinnce it is not quick and you know what is going on, then you have a gun and this I feel is a good way since it is fast but as far as painless I can't say maybe split second pain. I have did this. Then the vet and yes hands down, I would advise this every time. THE ONLY WAY TO GO. they are gone and no pain I have did this a few time very peaceful as they go.

Starbutt answered on 12/3/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer